Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Search Mac App Store

When I try to search the Mac App Store I get an error that says, "Cannot Connect to the App Store". I've tried logging out and back in. I logged out of iCloud and back in. I've tried restarting and restarting after logging out, then logging back in after a restart. I've tried resetting my network connections. The thing is I can browse and even download from the store, but I cannot search it. When I search for an app in Safari and it shows me a link to the app store, it tries to open the link in the App Store, and again, I get same message. Any other things I can try?

I'm running Big Sur 11.2 on M1 MacBook Pro. I've disconnected everything but wifi as well.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 9:21 AM

kpurcell wrote:

It seems to work now for me. I just wish they’d update the status page. They seldom do that.

Alright kpurcell— glad to hear it is back to working for you.

Temporary glitches, swaps, short term maintenance, edits, etc —do not warrant "System Status" changes unless it is a prolong issue and outage affecting an isolated locale or larger. Never has and never will.

This is not a protocol isolated to Apple® inc to punish the end user.

It has always been the go to way in navigating the Internet, as advised: —waiting a bit and simply try again.

If no resolve in 12-24 hrs then there is an issue.

This applies to any company/server that does not respond to a query immediately; reloading the page, trying later— is not out of the question...before yelling FIRE.

It may not be as seamless as it appears—Traceroute and tracert and your network ISP/ commands for displaying possible routes and transit delays of packets across an Internet Protocol network is a complex calculus...

The Internet backbone is defined by principal data routes between large, strategically interconnected computer networks and core routers of the Internet. These data routes are hosted by commercial, government, academic and other high-capacity network centers, as well as the Internet exchange points and network access points, that exchange Internet traffic between the countries, continents, and across the oceans. Internet service providers, often Tier 1 networks, participate in Internet backbone traffic by privately negotiated interconnection agreements, primarily governed by the principle of settlement-free peering.

Many reason why when you push the bottom it does not appear as expected.

please feel free to submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback 

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2021 9:21 AM in response to kpurcell

kpurcell wrote:

It seems to work now for me. I just wish they’d update the status page. They seldom do that.

Alright kpurcell— glad to hear it is back to working for you.

Temporary glitches, swaps, short term maintenance, edits, etc —do not warrant "System Status" changes unless it is a prolong issue and outage affecting an isolated locale or larger. Never has and never will.

This is not a protocol isolated to Apple® inc to punish the end user.

It has always been the go to way in navigating the Internet, as advised: —waiting a bit and simply try again.

If no resolve in 12-24 hrs then there is an issue.

This applies to any company/server that does not respond to a query immediately; reloading the page, trying later— is not out of the question...before yelling FIRE.

It may not be as seamless as it appears—Traceroute and tracert and your network ISP/ commands for displaying possible routes and transit delays of packets across an Internet Protocol network is a complex calculus...

The Internet backbone is defined by principal data routes between large, strategically interconnected computer networks and core routers of the Internet. These data routes are hosted by commercial, government, academic and other high-capacity network centers, as well as the Internet exchange points and network access points, that exchange Internet traffic between the countries, continents, and across the oceans. Internet service providers, often Tier 1 networks, participate in Internet backbone traffic by privately negotiated interconnection agreements, primarily governed by the principle of settlement-free peering.

Many reason why when you push the bottom it does not appear as expected.

please feel free to submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback 

Feb 3, 2021 6:38 AM in response to kpurcell

kpurcell wrote:

When I try to search the Mac App Store I get an error that says, "Cannot Connect to the App Store". I've tried logging out and back in. I logged out of iCloud and back in. I've tried restarting and restarting after logging out, then logging back in after a restart. I've tried resetting my network connections. The thing is I can browse and even download from the store, but I cannot search it. When I search for an app in Safari and it shows me a link to the app store, it tries to open the link in the App Store, and again, I get same message. Any other things I can try?

I'm running Big Sur 11.2 on M1 MacBook Pro. I've disconnected everything but wifi as well.

If you can't connect to the App Store, iTunes Store or other ...

Feb 3, 2021 6:55 AM in response to kpurcell

kpurcell wrote:

Thanks for trying to help, but sorry. This seems to be a bigger issue, so none of those steps helped. It seems that for many, the app store is down, at least searching or opening external links. I have other friends dealing with this issue, and they're not running 11.2 of macOS. So, despite Apple claiming all is well on their support page, all is not well.

You can always check the System Status for known issue— Apple servers up or down

past issue don't register for long if there was a resolve.

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Another hand URL is — https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com

This will tell if it is your ISP that is having an issue and/or along the backbone:

Feb 3, 2021 6:42 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for trying to help, but sorry. This seems to be a bigger issue, so none of those steps helped. It seems that for many, the app store is down, at least searching or opening external links. I have other friends dealing with this issue, and they're not running 11.2 of macOS. So, despite Apple claiming all is well on their support page, all is not well.

Cannot Search Mac App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.