Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Altering preferences to prevent photos from creating memories with given people

It doesn't seem possible to keep iPhoto from creating memories or "for you" albums of people that I don't want to see. I removed the offending person from my "people" section, I went into preferences for the memories I didn't like and asked to "see fewer memories like this," but iPhoto keeps creating memories with this person in them. Seems like "see fewer memories" only bases its creations on place and time, rather than people tagged in the photos.

iPhoto has the capacity to do facial recognition, so why can't it allow me to exclude certain faces from the memories that it creates on my behalf? I don't want to see these memories. But I don't want to delete the photos either. Just would rather have more control over the automated memory creation process.

Advice?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 7:42 AM

You could hide the photos with people in them, that you do not want to see in a memory or as a thumbnail of a "Day" or on the Places maps. See "Hide Photos from view" on this help page: Browse and view photos in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

The hidden photos can still be viewed in the Hidden album or in smart albums with the rule "Photo is hidden".

You can block certain types of memories "Suggest less" for this type of memory, but to block a person from the memories, you have to use "Suggest less" on a memory named after the person. It does not suffice to block a memory with a photo of this person. Then Photos should no longer create a memory about this person, but the photos may still appear on other memory types.

See: View memories in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2021 7:42 AM in response to Merc_SF

You could hide the photos with people in them, that you do not want to see in a memory or as a thumbnail of a "Day" or on the Places maps. See "Hide Photos from view" on this help page: Browse and view photos in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

The hidden photos can still be viewed in the Hidden album or in smart albums with the rule "Photo is hidden".

You can block certain types of memories "Suggest less" for this type of memory, but to block a person from the memories, you have to use "Suggest less" on a memory named after the person. It does not suffice to block a memory with a photo of this person. Then Photos should no longer create a memory about this person, but the photos may still appear on other memory types.

See: View memories in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Altering preferences to prevent photos from creating memories with given people

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.