Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Project Media vs Events Used Media

Hi,

I have created a new project and used a number of clips from one event.

as I would expect all of the clips have orange lines underneath them.

However, if I look at the project media tab only some of the clips have lines underneath them. If I highlight one of the clips and choose Reveal in Finder it links to the same file that is shown in the Events folder above that does have the line underneath it.

Does anyone know why the clips in Project Media do not have the Used Media line under all of them?

Many thanks for any comments.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 2:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 4:02 PM

The orange line only appears on those clips that are actually used in the project timeline. The ones that do not have an orange line are not in the project timeline, but they are still in the iMovie library Original Media folder (a Finder folder) and that is why they appear when you do a File/Reveal in Finder.

-- Rich

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2021 4:02 PM in response to Russ New Boy

The orange line only appears on those clips that are actually used in the project timeline. The ones that do not have an orange line are not in the project timeline, but they are still in the iMovie library Original Media folder (a Finder folder) and that is why they appear when you do a File/Reveal in Finder.

-- Rich

Feb 3, 2021 4:08 PM in response to Rich839

Rich,

Thanks for the reply. However, if I add a clip from an Event, in the case above from Event 2014 Harrison then the orange line appears and it also gets added automatically to the Project Media, in this case '2014 Harrison 1' [similar names not helpful] so I would expect to see the orange line shown under this clip as well since its the same clip. And if select Reveal in Finder then on both occasions it should show the same file in the same Finder? Is that right?

Feb 3, 2021 4:14 PM in response to Russ New Boy

Rich,

I think I may have figured out the problem, but I don't know what's causing it.

I have just added another clip from an Event, its added to the timeline and orange is shown. However, once again when the clip is automatically added to the Project Media no orange line is shown. But if I click on Inspector the clip under Event is XXX.mov, but if I click on the same clip in Project Media it is shown as XXX 1.mov. But if I go to Reveal in Finder in both cases it shows me the file XXX.mov since there is only one file.

I have deleted the clip, reimported it to iMovie and added to the same Event and now it is behaving as expected; i.e. the clip has an orange line in both Project Media and Event. Which is correct as there is only one clip in the project timeline and only one clip in the Event.

So, is this a bug or a problem when the clip is originally imported? It seems to be happening on around 50% of the clips in a particular event that I've added to the project.

Thanks.

Feb 3, 2021 4:22 PM in response to Russ New Boy

The orange line will show in the Project Media for "2014 Harrison 1" provided that you added the clip to the project timeline. The orange line will not show on the same clip in the other Event folder, "2014 Harrison". Doing a Reveal in Finder on both clips will display them as the same single file in the Original Media folder, that is a Finder folder. Actually, you are not dealing with two clips but only two references to a single clip that is in the Original Media folder. When you do a Reveal in Finder on each reference clip, it refers back to the same single clip in the Finder.

-- Rich

Project Media vs Events Used Media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.