Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot camp changing partition size

Hi. I’m running Big Sur on a Mac Pro 2015 model. I’m aiming to install Windows 10 using boot camp Once installed can I resize the partition size if needs to be bigger/smaller. (Windows only needed to run one program so not much will be used)

I’m installing it from a USB drive containing a Win ISO file. The usb drive has some other data on it also. Will the USB drive end up being formatted and I lose those other files ?

thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 6:40 AM

4 replies

Feb 4, 2021 9:09 AM in response to miketurner

miketurner wrote:

Hi, thanks for the info. yes, I downloaded the W10 ISO from the Microsoft page.

You need to do this on the Mac when booted in macOS. The ISO must be a single file.

On a Windows PC, Widows Media Creator downloads and provides individual files on the USB. This will not work.

Are you saying that I should copy the file to the Mac OS Big Sur first ?

You are not copying any file(s). You need a direct download of the ISO on Mac when booted in macOS. This is what the file should look like.

ls -lgh *.iso

-rw-r--r--@ 1 staff   5.1G Oct 20 11:32 Win10_1909_EnglishInternational_x64.iso

-rw-r--r--@ 1 staff   5.7G Oct 31 12:07 Win10_20H2_English_x64.iso

-rw-r--r--@ 1 staff   5.8G Dec  5 16:54 Win10_20H2_v2_English_x64.iso

Will Bootcamp be able to read the Mac software to install the W10 ISO ?

Yes, BC Assistant processes the ISO file. From Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant - Apple Support,

Feb 4, 2021 6:47 AM in response to miketurner

If you use Bootcamp to install Windows, then the Bootcamp-created partition cannot be resized using any Apple tools and it is not supported. However, there are third-party tools that can let you do it.

Do not use the Windows ISO from the USB, since it is not a single ISO, but the contents of the ISO. You should download the W10 ISO from Microsoft page directly to any folder except Downloads on the Mac side.

Boot camp changing partition size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.