Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MiniTool Partition in Windows 10

Can I resize Bootcamp using MiniTool Partition in Windows 10?

i have tried to reduce the size of my iMac drive to create more space for Bootcamp but although it says Done, the size after reboot has not changed.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jun 9, 2019 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2019 12:20 AM

Please do not do this my friend, this will almost certainly cause terrible problems for both macOS and BootCamp Windows.

The only way that is not dangerous is to run BootCamp Assistant to delete your BootCamp Windows partition completely. Then use macOS Disk Utility to make sure you Macintosh HD is again the full size of the hard drive. Then run BootCamp Assistant again to make a new BootCamp partition, but this time make it bigger to the size you need and install Windows from scratch once again.

If you already have heavily configured your Windows you may want to make a Windows backup first before doing any of this using the normal Windows backup methods, and then restoring that backup within the fresh Windows that you will reinstall using BootCamp.

I would not use any Windows partitioning tool to modify your partitions on that hard drive. That will almost certainly not work. I don't think MiniTool even really understands modern Mac partitions in the slightest.

If you truly want to modify your partition against my advice, please make a Time Machine backup of your Macintosh HD within macOS first, because it will almost certainly cause you a major failure and complete data loss.

Even doing it the proper way I would describe, I would still strongly advice you to make a Time Machine backup of your system now. Please note: Time Machine will not backup BootCamp Windows at all, just your macOS.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2019 12:20 AM in response to hkbs

Please do not do this my friend, this will almost certainly cause terrible problems for both macOS and BootCamp Windows.

The only way that is not dangerous is to run BootCamp Assistant to delete your BootCamp Windows partition completely. Then use macOS Disk Utility to make sure you Macintosh HD is again the full size of the hard drive. Then run BootCamp Assistant again to make a new BootCamp partition, but this time make it bigger to the size you need and install Windows from scratch once again.

If you already have heavily configured your Windows you may want to make a Windows backup first before doing any of this using the normal Windows backup methods, and then restoring that backup within the fresh Windows that you will reinstall using BootCamp.

I would not use any Windows partitioning tool to modify your partitions on that hard drive. That will almost certainly not work. I don't think MiniTool even really understands modern Mac partitions in the slightest.

If you truly want to modify your partition against my advice, please make a Time Machine backup of your Macintosh HD within macOS first, because it will almost certainly cause you a major failure and complete data loss.

Even doing it the proper way I would describe, I would still strongly advice you to make a Time Machine backup of your system now. Please note: Time Machine will not backup BootCamp Windows at all, just your macOS.

MiniTool Partition in Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.