Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WebDAV on macOS Big Sur 11.2 on M1 didn't work

I bought my new MacBook Pro 13'' M1 to do the lessons with my students at home in Corona times. WebDav is after some system updates still not working. Full crash - black screen - restart.

When I try to write on a WebDav share macOS restarts. Reading files is working. I am very disappointed and try to find a solutions because I have to share files with my students.

Thanks for every helpful tip!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 9:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2021 10:17 AM

I was in contact with 2nd level support at Apple three weeks ago. They told me that the problem was known and that a solution to the problem should be delivered in one of the next 3 updates. Let's hope the best!

Similar questions

14 replies

Mar 18, 2021 5:49 AM in response to nor.bat

#update 2021/03/18

I've just installed system update 11.2.3. WebDav still doesn't work! :-(

To be honest, I have not yet been able to recommend an Apple device with the M1 chip to any colleague if they are absolutely dependent on the support of WebDAV in order to carry out their distance training sensibly in the pandemic.

Apr 1, 2021 5:16 PM in response to fatro

fatro wrote:

Are we the only 3 peoples in the world using WebDAV with Mac M1?

Pretty much. My official recommendation would be to use some 3rd party software for WebDAV. Transmit (https://panic.com/transmit/) is probably the most popular such tool. I don't actually use it myself, so I can't comment on how well it works.

I would not recommend using Apple's WebDAV. Years ago I wrote an app that I hoped would eventually be a good competitor to Transmit. In my naïve confidence of all things Apple, and my love of XML, I used WebDAV as a local translation layer. That was a bad idea. I discovered that there were serious bugs in Apple's WebDAV implementation and that Apple had no plans to fix them (that's what they told me). Apple suggested I use SMB instead, but that is significantly more complicated to implement, so I dropped the idea. This was 8 years ago. I don't see how WebDAV has gotten any more popular since then.

A few years after that, I even had an opportunity to use a super-fast, well-supported enterprise SMB network. Again, I was disappointed in the Mac's networking support, this time with SMB.

My official recommendation is to never use network connections as network drives. By this I mean never attempt to directly open a file on a network volume. Instead, drag the file to your local machine and work on a copy of the file. When you are happy with your changes, drag the file back to the network volume and overwrite the old version. Hopefully no one else has made any changes to the file since you made your copy. This is the same workflow you would get for any 3rd party tool anyway. Transmit might allow you to mount remote connections as Finder volumes, but I don't know how well that will work.

If you have any option for a web-based database, or well-supported file sync system like iCloud or One Drive, use those instead.

I realize people probably don't want to hear this. I know I don't like saying it. But at a certain point, you just get tired of network lockups and corrupt files and you just want to get your work done and go home. Follow the instructions above to do that.

Apr 7, 2021 10:26 AM in response to matze73

Same problem here again and again with a Synology NAS via WebDAV in a pandemic setting! I can't believe that I have to start my old 2011 MacBook to execute a very simple operation, that I can't do with my brand new and quite expensive M1 machine. I've never seen that pink flashing panic mode screen before, and then so many times straight away, because I've just been used to opening and editing files for more than a decade. Praising Apple for stable running machines came to an end!! Is this their strategy to promote iCloud? Time to say good-bye?

WebDAV on macOS Big Sur 11.2 on M1 didn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.