Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13 M1 wifi latency problem

Hi, I tried some game streaming platform but the network latency is really slow via wi-fi.

I tested the MacBook Pro in the same network and router where I usually use another windows laptop without problems.

The ping latency from the MBP to the router is 12-15 ms with spike of 30-40 ms and more

The ping latency of the other i7 laptop is 1-3 ms .... is a recent HP Probook gen 6

Is impossible a so fast and high tech Mac book pro have a so slow and not reliable wifi chip.

WHY IS SOOO SLOOOOOW??

there is something I can do? other than buy a wired lan usb-c adapter :-)

Thank you

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 1:25 PM

6 replies

Feb 5, 2021 7:51 AM in response to xteus

xteus wrote:

Hi, I tried some game streaming platform but the network latency is really slow via wi-fi.
I tested the MacBook Pro in the same network and router where I usually use another windows laptop without problems.
The ping latency from the MBP to the router is 12-15 ms with spike of 30-40 ms and more
The ping latency of the other i7 laptop is 1-3 ms .... is a recent HP Probook gen 6
Is impossible a so fast and high tech Mac book pro have a so slow and not reliable wifi chip.
WHY IS SOOO SLOOOOOW??
there is something I can do? other than buy a wired lan usb-c adapter :-)
Thank you

It might help to know the game streaming platform ...

Feb 5, 2021 8:28 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for the reply

The game service is GEFORCE NOW , but I obtain the same bad results via chrome app silicon native (universal) and geforce now app (intel app with rosetta emulation)

The bad story is the latency from the hardware wifi outside the specified apps.

I'm connected to a fritz box 7590 router with a wifi 5ghz 866 mbit/s full band ,like the others pc in my lan

From terminal the ping to my router have 15-20 ms of latency for a single hop , and with spike of 30-40 ms

The other devices in my lan haven't this problems and all work with low latency from 1-3 ms

obviously with this lan lag I obtain a very bad connection when I try to play with geforce now service.

I have disabled firewall , and haven't other services in the middle

Feb 5, 2021 9:28 AM in response to xteus

xteus wrote:

Thank you for the reply
The game service is GEFORCE NOW , but I obtain the same bad results via chrome app silicon native (universal) and geforce now app (intel app with rosetta emulation)
The bad story is the latency from the hardware wifi outside the specified apps.
I'm connected to a fritz box 7590 router with a wifi 5ghz 866 mbit/s full band ,like the others pc in my lan
From terminal the ping to my router have 15-20 ms of latency for a single hop , and with spike of 30-40 ms
The other devices in my lan haven't this problems and all work with low latency from 1-3 ms
obviously with this lan lag I obtain a very bad connection when I try to play with geforce now service.
I have disabled firewall , and haven't other services in the middle

macOS location services can interfere with your network quality. For now, we recommend turning off location services when you use GeForce NOW.

Feb 6, 2021 12:29 PM in response to xteus

xteus wrote:

Sorry but disabling the location service can't solve my problem, I have the same bad results.... I have tried the service with a usb c adapter, and wow ... very fast and stable for all the 2 hrs of gaming.

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call  AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

MacBook Pro 13 M1 wifi latency problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.