Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini 2018 w/eGPU & USB Audio, coreaudiod freezes, causes loginwindow to not respond video/audio playback to stop

All:

I'm looking for any help here. This is a REALLY weird one that has existed from Catalina now to Big Sur (although with a slight variation).

We've all dealt with the fast video playback bug that forces you to do a killall of coreaudiod to restart the system. Now I've got an issue where randomly (twice today, but normally only once per day), audio/video playback will stop, pressing volume up or down takes about 2 minutes per press to pop the indicator on the screen, and loginwindow goes unresponsive. Only a reboot fixes the issue. I could be browsing on a website the clicks over to YouTube, and when I hit play it just sits there looking like its buffering. Music won't play, and when I do the volume up and down on the keyboard, there is no audio sound confirming this.

With Big Sur, I now can kill coreaudiod, and it will just die whatever death it does. Meaning, volume up/down buttons become responsive again but it just has the volume icon then a circle with a slash through it (just like when you have it muted).

I don't have Boom3D installed (that was one I've heard can mess with the audio subsystem in bad ways). I originally thought it was Zoom, but that's not the case as it is happening after uninstall. I know its happening if I try to play a YouTube video, and it doesn't matter which browser I choose (I run Chrome, Firefox, and Safari for different things).

Nothing is showing up interesting in the Console logs, I'm not seeing anything related to coreaudiod there, and I cannot reliably reproduce it. Only recovery is reboot. Killing loginwindow does nothing.

I'm looking for ANY ideas on what diagnostic tools I could use or logs I could check to help me figure out what subcomponent is completely losing it and bringing down macOS.

Setup:

MacMini 2018

External GPU to drive a Samsung CRG9

USB speaker (Dell AC511 USB Soundbar)

Also have a Jabra Speak 710 connected for conf calls.

Before you cool cats seeking fake internet points respond, I've had a support session (level II) with Apple to no avail, reset SMC and PRAM, and done all the normal generic stuff that pops up as a response. We can save us both a click right there.

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 4, 2021 3:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 9:37 AM

OK, this T2 vs USB 2.0 is exactly what is happening. Its shocking that it takes the whole machine and grinds it. I've discovered now that by disconnecting and reconnecting the speaker (now a push button switch on my USB hub), this solves the problem.

Still a major HW bug from Apple and still a problem that needs a proper fix.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2021 9:37 AM in response to Branden Williams

OK, this T2 vs USB 2.0 is exactly what is happening. Its shocking that it takes the whole machine and grinds it. I've discovered now that by disconnecting and reconnecting the speaker (now a push button switch on my USB hub), this solves the problem.

Still a major HW bug from Apple and still a problem that needs a proper fix.

Mac mini 2018 w/eGPU & USB Audio, coreaudiod freezes, causes loginwindow to not respond video/audio playback to stop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.