Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hide or Shrink Music Playlist Header?

Hello all. I updated to Big Sur recently and in the Music app, is there a way to hide or shrink the massive playlist header area at the top? Let's compare with old iTunes header (this is Songs view):

iTunes header:

New Music header:

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2021 10:40 AM

Nope OP there's no way to disable it. I've gone through config files and can't find any tag to disable it.

It's such a stupid idea, I generally don't tend to use that term but considering Apple sell computers with small displays, it's an actually ridiculous mess and the fact it isn't optional. I don't use Music much - I set up a very decent iTunes library years ago and it mostly goes untouched. I live by Smart playlists and all my new songs enter the big machine that is my library. It's a sight to behold. (began it with my first mac in 2003!)

I have a range of Apple computers nowadays. I tried it out and the obnoxious header renders playlist editing useless on a 13" macbook. You can tell Apple don't test on their smaller machines/what machines the devs work on. However I've still got a 27" old iMac to hand acting as a home server and let me tell you it's come in handy so often! I gave up trying to edit my playlist on any of my Macbook Pros (Pro they call them lol) and just "Shared Screen" the iMac and got to work on iTunes, tinkering my icloud music stuff there instead. Wonderful!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2021 10:40 AM in response to turingtest2

Nope OP there's no way to disable it. I've gone through config files and can't find any tag to disable it.

It's such a stupid idea, I generally don't tend to use that term but considering Apple sell computers with small displays, it's an actually ridiculous mess and the fact it isn't optional. I don't use Music much - I set up a very decent iTunes library years ago and it mostly goes untouched. I live by Smart playlists and all my new songs enter the big machine that is my library. It's a sight to behold. (began it with my first mac in 2003!)

I have a range of Apple computers nowadays. I tried it out and the obnoxious header renders playlist editing useless on a 13" macbook. You can tell Apple don't test on their smaller machines/what machines the devs work on. However I've still got a 27" old iMac to hand acting as a home server and let me tell you it's come in handy so often! I gave up trying to edit my playlist on any of my Macbook Pros (Pro they call them lol) and just "Shared Screen" the iMac and got to work on iTunes, tinkering my icloud music stuff there instead. Wonderful!

Hide or Shrink Music Playlist Header?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.