Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Documents and Desktop

When I put the Documents icon (with the small 'ingraving' on it) on my desktop folder, it copies and shows that it will be the original documents folder, but once it finishes copying the engraving goes away, and it just becomes a copy of documents. When i save something to documents after this, it will apear in the document icon in finder, but not the copied one on my desktop. Why does the 'proper' documents tab/icon not go onto my desktop, and I have to open finder every time i want to access any folder. This happens with all of my specefic folders within documents as well. How can i get the actual folder on my desktop, so when i save something in there, i can access it from my desktop?

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 4:18 AM

lachie116 wrote:

When I put the Documents icon (with the small 'ingraving' on it) on my desktop folder, it copies and shows that it will be the original documents folder, but once it finishes copying the engraving goes away, and it just becomes a copy of documents. When i save something to documents after this, it will apear in the document icon in finder, but not the copied one on my desktop. Why does the 'proper' documents tab/icon not go onto my desktop, and I have to open finder every time i want to access any folder. This happens with all of my specefic folders within documents as well. How can i get the actual folder on my desktop, so when i save something in there, i can access it from my desktop?

Hmmm.

Dragging to the Desktop would create an alias of the folder...

Locally on your Mac if you are (not using iCloud Drive Desktop and Documents) —

The Documents folder is in the Finder sidebar—

Finder>Preferences>Sidebar>Documents

From your Home folder You can also drag and drop the Documents folder to the right side of the Dock.

Typically Shift Command O opens the Documents folder.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2021 4:18 AM in response to lachie116

lachie116 wrote:

Hmmm.

Dragging to the Desktop would create an alias of the folder...

Locally on your Mac if you are (not using iCloud Drive Desktop and Documents) —

The Documents folder is in the Finder sidebar—

Finder>Preferences>Sidebar>Documents

From your Home folder You can also drag and drop the Documents folder to the right side of the Dock.

Typically Shift Command O opens the Documents folder.

Documents and Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.