Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Finder unable to open documents folder

I am having issues with opening the documents folder. While I am able to access the folder and its contents in applications like Word etc, I am not able to open it in Finder, although I can drag contents into it and see them on the iCloud website.

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on May 26, 2023 11:25 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 27, 2023 8:18 AM in response to Nickgaga

Nickgaga wrote:

I am having issues with opening the documents folder. While I am able to access the folder and its contents in applications like Word etc, I am not able to open it in Finder, although I can drag contents into it and see them on the iCloud website.

If Desktop & Documents got turned on in iCloud Drive...

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple ...

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

iCloud drive missing desktop and documents

Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

you can try turning off the feature and compare your results:

How to Restore Your Desktop and Documents After Disabling ...

https://www.howtogeek.com/273629/how-to-restore-your-desktop-and-documents-after-disabling-icloud-sync-in-macos-sierra/

How to find your Documents and Desktop folder contents after disabling ...

https://www.macworld.com/article/3396119/how-to-find-your-documents-and-desktop-folder-contents-after-disabling-icloud-sync.html

Finder>Go>Go to Folder>copy & paste:

~/iCloud Drive (Archive)

iCLoud Drive (Archive) - here you should find all your files

May 27, 2023 6:28 PM in response to Nickgaga

Nickgaga wrote:

Reddit said it is a bug that just needs finder to be force quit and that resolved the issue.

The folder says it synced now, but trying to view/interact with the folder in finder causes this error "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code -8058)." Interestingly adding the folder to my dock allows me to get it to open in Finder.

So it is resolved or not resolved(?)

If it is a sync issue— sign out of AppleID/iCloud and back in again...

Sign out of iCloud on your Mac ...

Finder unable to open documents folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.