Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore book marks and browsing history Safari

I had to do a clean install to upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur (Catalina had put 3 HD partitions on the machine) and Time Machine had an error and would not back up.

I am trying to build up the machine again from manual back ups and old Time Machine backups so couldn't use Migration Assistant. I can't find the bookmarks or the browsing history in the Time Machine files - it seems that Catalina had also split the Library file and I copied the one without these.

Searches don't work. I've unhidden the files and can't find them. Where exactly are they in Catalina? I don't use the iCloud. Any ideas anyone?

MacBook

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 8:32 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 6, 2021 10:46 AM in response to lizfromtadley

By default the library is invisible. While in your User folder go to the View ➙ Show View Options menu.

Then in the View Options make sure this checkbox is checked:

To restore the bookmarks you need to enter Time Machine, go back in time to a date just prior to this problem and go to the /User/username/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist file. select to and restore it.

Feb 6, 2021 1:21 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your help. Just for your information I managed it by using Go to on the computer and search for bookmarks.plist in the back up. I copied it from the backup, pasted it in the computer Safari folder and it asked If I wanted to replace and I said yes. It seems to have worked.

I do appreciate you taking the time to answer me and am impressed with your knowledge.

Restore book marks and browsing history Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.