Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore LastSession.plist from Time Machine

I know that I can get to my user/Library folder from the Finder Go menu using the option key. However, I can't figure out how to do that in Time Machine or on a cloned drive.

During a recent troubleshooting chat with Microsoft (concerning Outlook and my MS 365 license), we ran a remote session in which my Safari browser window ended up being closed without my realizing it. Another window was opened which then became my last session. This, BTW, happened just after upgrading from Mojave to Big Sur but that's immaterial, I believe. I had a Time Machine and two clone (CCC) backups prior to the upgrade.

I want to get those old browser tabs back and need to know how to get into the ~/Library/Safari folder in one of those backups.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2021 1:19 PM

Hello rdosh and welcome to Apple Support Communities. It appears you are having some difficulty restoring a file from a Time Machine backup.

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac

For items such as the user library which require more than just a click to access, you'll want to navigate to that folder *before* entering the Time Machine interface. If you do it in that order, you should continue to see ~/Library/Safari and then be able to choose a backup date for the folder and then restore the file itself.

Cheers.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2021 1:19 PM in response to rdosh

Hello rdosh and welcome to Apple Support Communities. It appears you are having some difficulty restoring a file from a Time Machine backup.

Restore items backed up with Time Machine on Mac

For items such as the user library which require more than just a click to access, you'll want to navigate to that folder *before* entering the Time Machine interface. If you do it in that order, you should continue to see ~/Library/Safari and then be able to choose a backup date for the folder and then restore the file itself.

Cheers.

Restore LastSession.plist from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.