Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I switch between photo libraries on my iMac?

I seem to have ended up with 2 Photos libraries on my iMac. It won't let me open one of them because it needs to be converted from an iPhoto format. What do I do - I need photos from both libraries.

Thanks,

Dick

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 10:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 11:32 PM

To switch between libraries

• quit Photos, if it is running.
  • Then launch Photos again while holding down the options key ⌥. keep holding down the ⌥ key firmly, until you are seeing the dialog to select a library. Now click the library you want to open in the last of libraries.

If the library you want to open does not appear in the list, check, if the library is in a supported location. Photos will not open a library on an unsupported volume, like a network share or a Time Machine drive. If the library is on an incompatible volume, move it to a volume, that has been prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support Your Pictures folder would be the best place, if you have enough free storage.

If the iPhoto Library cannot be opened at all, check the filename extension. if the extension is ".migratedphotolibrary" because you previously opened the library already in Photos, change the filename extension back to ".photolibrary"

Then Photos can open it again and create a new Photos Library from it.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2021 11:32 PM in response to dick mcgee

To switch between libraries

• quit Photos, if it is running.
  • Then launch Photos again while holding down the options key ⌥. keep holding down the ⌥ key firmly, until you are seeing the dialog to select a library. Now click the library you want to open in the last of libraries.

If the library you want to open does not appear in the list, check, if the library is in a supported location. Photos will not open a library on an unsupported volume, like a network share or a Time Machine drive. If the library is on an incompatible volume, move it to a volume, that has been prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support Your Pictures folder would be the best place, if you have enough free storage.

If the iPhoto Library cannot be opened at all, check the filename extension. if the extension is ".migratedphotolibrary" because you previously opened the library already in Photos, change the filename extension back to ".photolibrary"

Then Photos can open it again and create a new Photos Library from it.

How do I switch between photo libraries on my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.