Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot merge photos from a photos 6 library into a photos 5 library

My macbook pro has photos 6, but my older imac only has photos 5. I cannot upgrade photos 5, because the iMac can only support Catalina. I want to merge the photos library from my macbook into the photo library on my iMac, but cannot find a way to do it. The Apple help files do not address this issue as far as I can see.

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 2:11 PM

bob bill wrote:

Am I right in thinking that I simply cannot open the photos 6 library with photos 5, so that effectively I can only merge the two libraries on the MBP, or on an EHD using the MBP?

Yes, that's right. Each Photos version and its library are unique to that particular version.

Your best bet would be to enable iCloud Library on both machines, first with the MacBook and then with then on the iMac (after the Macbook's library has completed its upload to the iCloud Library).

This will eventually get you all of the photos from the MacBook into your iMac's library.

However, you'l need to temporarily purchase enough iCloud space to house both libraries. When finally finished you can cancel the iCloud storage.

NOTE: depending on the size of the libraries this can take a lot of time, a week or more, to complete.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2022 2:11 PM in response to bob bill

bob bill wrote:

Am I right in thinking that I simply cannot open the photos 6 library with photos 5, so that effectively I can only merge the two libraries on the MBP, or on an EHD using the MBP?

Yes, that's right. Each Photos version and its library are unique to that particular version.

Your best bet would be to enable iCloud Library on both machines, first with the MacBook and then with then on the iMac (after the Macbook's library has completed its upload to the iCloud Library).

This will eventually get you all of the photos from the MacBook into your iMac's library.

However, you'l need to temporarily purchase enough iCloud space to house both libraries. When finally finished you can cancel the iCloud storage.

NOTE: depending on the size of the libraries this can take a lot of time, a week or more, to complete.

Feb 20, 2022 11:30 AM in response to bob bill

The following is predicated on you wanting to keep the library on the older Mac at 5.1:

1 - copy the library to your MacBook Pro (if there's room) or to an external drive formatted like one of these depending on the type of drive:

If using an external drive:

2 - plug the EHD into your MBP.

For either option listed in #1:

3 - double click on the 5.1 library to open it with Photos 6 and convert to the newer version.

4 - close the library and open your MBP library.

5 - go to the File ➙ Import menu and select the 5.1 library to import.

When you're done make sure all photos/video have been imported into the MBP library before deleting the 5.1 library. You can do this by checking the number of photos and videos in both libraries before import and then check the MBP library afterward.

Feb 20, 2022 1:54 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad,

Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate the time and effort.

The point was to take the library off my MBP to free up HD space, and merge it onto the iMac, removing duplicates on the way.

So I think what you're telling me is to use an EHD INSTEAD of the iMac, which certainly solves the problem of MBP storage space and merging the libraries.

I suspect you are also telling me that the days of me storing and viewing/editing photos on the old iMac (with its gorgeous large screen) are over? I confess I was hoping someone would say " No old fella, just wave this magic wand and it will all be as you wish it to be". Funny how that so rarely happens! :(

Rob 'sadder but wiser' Cargill,

Melbourne Australia

Feb 21, 2022 1:17 AM in response to bob bill

Hi

In any case, the facility to merge libraries has only been introduced with photos 7 / Monterey. Earlier versions cannot copy photos between libraries.

You can either upgrade a library for use with photo 6, but then not use it with earlier versions, or leave it on photos 5 but not use it with 6. It is not possible to open a library with two different versions of MacOS - it will always be upgraded automatically if you open it with the later version. The only solution is, as OT has suggested to use iCloud to sync the two libraries.

Otherwise, once the earlier library is upgraded, you will either need to upgrade to Monterey to merge them, or use the third party app power photos by fat cat software.

Feb 21, 2022 2:57 AM in response to bob bill

If you want to keep the Photos Library as a Photos 5 Library on the older Mac , you can add the photos from your Photos 6 Library by exporting them on your Big Sur Mac into a folder with File > Export.

Copy this folder to the Catalina Mac and import the photos there.

the only easy way to keep the photo libraries on two macs with different system versions identical and in sync is to use iCloud Photos. If you enable iCloud Photos on both Macs the photos from both macs will upload to iCloud and merged into one library. And iCloud will keep the libraries on both macs identical. You will need to sign up for enough cloud storage for your photos.

It is working well for me with two macs running Mojave, two macs with Monterey, on iphone with iOS 15, an iPad with iPadOS15.

I cannot merge photos from a photos 6 library into a photos 5 library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.