Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

21-02-06 mojave update broke itunes, only recent purchases now show in library

After an update to mojave and safari when I launched itunes it hung on iTunes Music Library

After a while of trying to get itunes to launch, all I get is the few songs that I downloaded recently.

so much for updating anything

tia!!

macbook mid 2014

mojave 10.14.6

itoonz 12.9.5.5 (150gb music)

safari 14.03

MacBook

Posted on Feb 6, 2021 10:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 2:11 AM

See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash - Apple Community.

tt2

13 replies

Feb 10, 2021 6:46 PM in response to turingtest2

That would be great!

I think the last quick questions.....

Would my playlists be turned back into the date of that ITL file?

....potentially loosing anything that was created after the Previous iTunes Libraries ITL date.

In your post you mentioned that the ITL file isn't created unless itunes is updated.

Is there any way to create or force these files to be created?

Or I guess I can just copy the current ITL at times for a current backup.

I'll look in time machine, but I think the last time I dragged something over it completely re-arranged every icon on my desktop. I guess I’ll do a screen shot just in case!

Feb 11, 2021 2:47 AM in response to helix88

Yes, restoring a dated .itl file takes your library back to the state it was in on that date. You can import the contents for the media folder to add in any tracks that were added to the library after that date. A more recent backup of the .itl from Time Machine would be ideal if it exists. Also check the iTunes folder for hidden .tmp files. It is possible one exists that is the state of the library just before the corruption occurred. In future you could take periodic manual backups of the .itl file to make recovery easier if this issue were repeated.

tt2

Feb 11, 2021 4:59 PM in response to turingtest2

There are five of these, from Temp File.tmp to Temp File 4.tmp but all are pretty old....from 2009-2014.

Oddly the preview on some is the itunes ITL logo and on others it's text like <?xml version="1.0"........ and the size of them varies.

I'm guessing that those are not a viable route.

I'll have a look at time machine and see if there's a newer ITL otherwise I guess that I'll be rebuilding some playlists and chasing down purchases. Too bad that data can't be taken off of my iphone.

In future you could take periodic manual backups of the .itl file to make recovery easier if this issue were repeated.

Will copying the "current" ITL at times work?

Feb 11, 2021 6:05 PM in response to helix88

The temp files are generated when one of the database files is updated, a new file is written out, the old one deleted, and the new one renamed to replace it. They are left behind if that process is interrupted. Clearly you have nothing recent enough to be useful.

Yes you can copy the current ITL to make a copy, best to do it when iTunes is fully closed.

tt2

Feb 13, 2021 9:24 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you so much for all of the assistance, that worked!

I totally panicked, I did see the music was still there but I have many playlists that I didn't want to lose!

Luckily I had not added any new play lists in a while so it didn't take much to add the new purchases to it. Oddly there is a difference of one song between my iphone and itunes......just an ocd thing!

It would be cool if there was a way to compare playlists!

Usually I do a manual backup and actually copy the entire itunes folder onto to two different hard drives, unfortunately I slacked, but luckily I found more recent ones on the time machine drive. I need to get more diligent about backing up and a new TM drive that can stay connected all of the time.

Previously when I’ve "entered time machine" to retrieve a file when I'd "exit" it would rearrange everything on my desktop....and it was not related to what it looked like at the time I went back to.

This time I was able to avoid that mess by just navigating (clicking) into the contents of the drive

Feb 13, 2021 2:03 PM in response to helix88

The iTunes Library.itl file is the core of your library. Do not delete it.

The XML file is only needed if you have third party software that want to read it when iTunes isn't running. Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced turn of the option to Share XML if you don't needed. The file is called iTunes Music Library.xml when the ITL is in the default location of <User's Music>\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl otherwise is has the same name as the .itl. It will be rebuild automatically if the option to create it is enabled so you can delete both safely.

tt2

21-02-06 mojave update broke itunes, only recent purchases now show in library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.