Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music (iTunes) - Automatically deleting files......still

Okay, I've had this issue for a while now and it's driving me to distraction and annoyance - can anyone help?

I'm no novice but equally I'm no expert so I've tried all the "usual" stuff but it keeps happening. Okay here goes....I manually add files to my Music library (not downloaded!), I add for example a stereo version of a track from a CD, and a mono version from the actual record - two separate files. These are added and look to be fine - both files exist. Then when I click on EITHER one to play it, Music deletes one of them from the libary - it's gone, not even into the trash bin it's just gone and now BOTH tracks point to the same singular file.

Deleting one of the the tracks now sends the remaining library file into the trash bin - makes sense - but then leaves the one remaining track ALSO pointing to the file in the trash bin so that when the bin is emptied, the file is lost and the circular warning of being unable to find the file appears.

Why does this routinely happen - Music should not be deleting files without some user input but it is and has been for some time. There is a work around and that is adding for example (mono) or (stereo) to the track name (which has to be done in the title field as this wont work added to the comments field) which seems to do the trick and keeps both tracks in the library and both tracks continue to point to the correct file.

Surely this can't be right?

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 3:02 AM

Hi,

I sometimes have this problem. My experience is that if you try to add a file with same name, the new file is not added as music app thinks that you already have this file. Sometimes the file is added again but the file has a one added to its name.

The problem that I have found is that the original file is overwritten by the new file- not a problem if the tracks are exactly the same but is if you have an AAC and ALAC versions. One problem is that there appears to be two tracks in you library point to same file. De-duping is a problem as you to remember to select keep file.

If I know I’m going have two versions of the same track, I add mono or stereo as appropriate. I also make sure that they have separate track numbers. I have mono and stereo versions of some albums - I make sure that the album titles are changed.

This problem is more noticeable with music app than with older versions of iTunes.

Jim

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2021 3:02 AM in response to GusMcC

Hi,

I sometimes have this problem. My experience is that if you try to add a file with same name, the new file is not added as music app thinks that you already have this file. Sometimes the file is added again but the file has a one added to its name.

The problem that I have found is that the original file is overwritten by the new file- not a problem if the tracks are exactly the same but is if you have an AAC and ALAC versions. One problem is that there appears to be two tracks in you library point to same file. De-duping is a problem as you to remember to select keep file.

If I know I’m going have two versions of the same track, I add mono or stereo as appropriate. I also make sure that they have separate track numbers. I have mono and stereo versions of some albums - I make sure that the album titles are changed.

This problem is more noticeable with music app than with older versions of iTunes.

Jim

Feb 7, 2021 3:12 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Cheers Jim I agree totally - wasn't an issue with old iTunes software but is a problem now and as you say, best to add to the song title to preserve them in the library. Yes, as you say, the file must be getting overwritten but that ONLY happens when you try to play either as BOTH files exist until you attempt to play either one.

The "old" iTunes software used to put a (1), (2) etc. at the end of the libray file where it found two files with the same title even although they were actually different but that doesn't appear to happen routinely now.

Apple Music (iTunes) - Automatically deleting files......still

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.