Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes for Windows doesn't launch automatically when I connect my iPhone 11Pro

What the title says. Windows is Windows 10 20H2 (19042.746) with all updates installed. iTunes is version 12.11.0.26. The iPhone is on iOS 14.4.

I connect the phone and it is detected as an iPhone. If I start iTunes, it detects the phone as an iPhone and synchronises it (the option to synchronise automatically is checked ON) as soon as iTunes is up *and* the phone is connected (WiFi sync is off).

However, iTunes used to launch automatically just because I connected the phone, and now it doesn't. What do I need to do to fix this?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 5:35 AM

Switching versions shouldn't have any impact on your library. You should have a backup of that of course. The two versions store iOS backup data in different places so switching would likely disconnect your current backups. Clearly not a task to perform when you have a device that needs restoring, but otherwise you can backup your devices after swapping versions.

Having read many threads where people have connected their devices to fix an issue only to have iTunes automatically update their backup, leaving them no correct backup to restore I'm personally not a fan of automatic launch and sync, which means it isn't an a feature I use or keep an eye on. I cannot guarantee that switching versions would fix it. I'd be tempted to live with your workaround.

tt2

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2021 5:35 AM in response to SteveTheCynic

Switching versions shouldn't have any impact on your library. You should have a backup of that of course. The two versions store iOS backup data in different places so switching would likely disconnect your current backups. Clearly not a task to perform when you have a device that needs restoring, but otherwise you can backup your devices after swapping versions.

Having read many threads where people have connected their devices to fix an issue only to have iTunes automatically update their backup, leaving them no correct backup to restore I'm personally not a fan of automatic launch and sync, which means it isn't an a feature I use or keep an eye on. I cannot guarantee that switching versions would fix it. I'd be tempted to live with your workaround.

tt2

Feb 9, 2021 10:55 AM in response to SteveTheCynic

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities Steve,

We understand you're expecting iTunes to open automatically when your iPhone is connected. According to the steps for syncing your device with iTunes, you'll want to open the iTunes app, than connect your device. More information can be found here: Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer

That said, Apple is always interested in hearing about options and features people want to see. We suggest you share your input with them here: Apple - Product Feedback

Cheers!

Feb 14, 2021 5:06 AM in response to turingtest2

I'm currently using the one directly from Apple. I'm reluctant to try this unless you're sure that it won't do anything silly like erase all my backups, clean all my non iTunes media (imported CDs, stuff like that) off my phone, etc. (When I changed PCs, pretty much exactly that happened, so it's not a theoretical concern.)

The thing is, this is one of those slightly annoying things that niggles at me rather than being truly annoying, and there's a trivial way to "work around" the problem - start iTunes manually - so I'm not really up for messing up my phone's set-up. It's also really hard to search for posts on forums (any forums) from people having the same problems. Two thirds of what Google finds are people who want to *stop* iTunes from automatically starting (and they say to turn off the option that I don't have), and most of the rest are people whose PCs don't even realise that the iPhone is an iPhone even when iTunes is launched manually, which mine *does* realise.

However, I just tried a different search (itunes no option to launch automatically), and found this thread on these forums: iTunes Not Opening - Apple Community

So it's not just me, and nobody really knows what causes it or how to fix it. User "Goose_85" had (before posting) even tried twice with the Apple-website version and twice with the Microsoft Store version, with the same result on all.

Feb 14, 2021 4:12 AM in response to turingtest2

Sorry about the delay - I've been a bit busy. There's only one option on the device's summary tab, "Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected," with no mention of starting ITunes automatically when the phone is connected.

I turned it off and on the way you suggested, and it made no difference. If ITunes is up when the phone is connected, the automatic sync happens (as before), but if ITunes isn't running at that point, it doesn't start up by itself.

I checked the main ITunes preferences, and the missing option isn't there either.

I don't know if this is relevant, and I don't see any logical reason why it would be, but the PC is currently a member of an Active Directory domain (it's a long story with lots of personal PCs and me disliking having to keep passwords in sync), and I'm logged in as a domain user.

iTunes for Windows doesn't launch automatically when I connect my iPhone 11Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.