Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camcorder Not showing in "import" via iMovie

Hi -

I have my camcorder connected to my MacBook Pro via usb - I want to transfer some old videos. I open up iMovie, click import and the camera won't show up. Its on, etc. I remember doing this years ago and it worked flawlessly. Im stumped and hoping someone can help me.

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 11:12 AM

Is your camcorder tape-based or file-based? If tape-based, you need a firewire cable connection. If file-based, you can use USB.

Also, is your camcorder analog or digital? If analog you will need first to convert the video to digital with a digital converter. If it is already digital you should be able to play it straight trough with just the proper cable connection.

Some camcorders are not compatible with importing directly into iMovie. Check the Apple website link below to see if your camcorder is listed as compatible. Pretty near all tape based camcorders are compatible even if they are not listed.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204202

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2021 11:12 AM in response to brianbabineau

Is your camcorder tape-based or file-based? If tape-based, you need a firewire cable connection. If file-based, you can use USB.

Also, is your camcorder analog or digital? If analog you will need first to convert the video to digital with a digital converter. If it is already digital you should be able to play it straight trough with just the proper cable connection.

Some camcorders are not compatible with importing directly into iMovie. Check the Apple website link below to see if your camcorder is listed as compatible. Pretty near all tape based camcorders are compatible even if they are not listed.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204202

-- Rich

Camcorder Not showing in "import" via iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.