Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Time Machine disk is full. Time Machine is supposed to clean up old backups, but it doesn't. Previously i deleted the backups manually, but this is supposed to be Time Machines tasks.

Kappy said - "You need at least 2-3 times the capacity of the source. In your case,

you are near the minimum as relates to your data. If the source drive is

1TB as is the backup drive, then you don't have a large enough backup

drive to meet even the minimum size needed."

This is not a solution as I have as 1.03 TB

Fusion Drive in my Imac and was sold a LaCie Porche External 2 TB

extrenal drive by apple for the backups - but it is not deleting the backups and deleting them manually is a pain in the bit slow and I dont know the external is full until it starts trying to save them locally which causes all sorts of issues -

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 5:15 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 7, 2021 5:31 PM in response to shambhallah

Hi there,

You should never manually delete Time Machine backups. If you are out of space, taker SeaPapp’s advice and erase the disk and start over, or get a larger drive.

If you need a larger drive, I always recommend the G-Technology G-Drive USB-C 4TB: https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/external-drives/g-technology-g-drive-usb-c-usb-3-1-hdd#0G05666-1.

Cheers,

Jack

My Time Machine disk is full. Time Machine is supposed to clean up old backups, but it doesn't. Previously i deleted the backups manually, but this is supposed to be Time Machines tasks.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.