Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My M1 Mac Can't enter recovery mode even after holding power/Touch ID

it brings me back to support.apple.com/mac/restore. Did that too and it give me this error

I tried with DFU mode and when it starts to install, it stops and says

The system cannot be restored on this device.

Failed to restore device in recovery mode, libusbrestore error:21 [com.apple.MobileDevice.MobileRestore – 0x15 (21)]

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME TO TAKE IT TO APPLE STORE. WE DON'T HAVE ONE HERE IN GHANA.

THIS IS A COMPUTER, I REALLY LOOKED FORWARD TO.

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 11:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 10:08 PM

Hi Svnta,

Reading the error message, it seems that you might have accidentally booted the Mac into "not-DFU" mode, although your screenshot appears to show the correct dotted rectangle and presumably, the DFU text in the center of the rectangle. However, it should show "Apple Controller" at the bottom of the screen, not "MacBook Pro".

When you're in true DFU mode, the screen will be blank on the problematic Mac.

This article can help with reviving or restoring your Mac: Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon with Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2021 10:08 PM in response to Svnta

Hi Svnta,

Reading the error message, it seems that you might have accidentally booted the Mac into "not-DFU" mode, although your screenshot appears to show the correct dotted rectangle and presumably, the DFU text in the center of the rectangle. However, it should show "Apple Controller" at the bottom of the screen, not "MacBook Pro".

When you're in true DFU mode, the screen will be blank on the problematic Mac.

This article can help with reviving or restoring your Mac: Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon with Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

Feb 9, 2021 4:17 PM in response to Svnta

Hello Svnta,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're having an issue with Recovery mode on your Mac. We suggest trying the actions provided in the article below. Should you continue to experience issues, feel free to reach out to Apple Support for help.

Revive or restore a Mac with Apple silicon with Apple Configurator 2

Get Support

Best regards.

My M1 Mac Can't enter recovery mode even after holding power/Touch ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.