Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac os big sur upgrade

I tried upgrading to Big Sur from Catalina 10.15.7, and the download took several attempts saying "the update could not be verified". I finally got the 12 GB+ file to download, but when it tried installing it threw the error "an error occurred while installing the selected updates". After several times trying the install it finally threw the error: "big sur operation could not be completed due to disk space recovery error 1". I then deleted the download because it was taking up all remaining disk space on my hard drive.

Before I attempted to update I had ~19 GB free space, and now this is down to ~13 GB. So I now have 6 GB less space available and no OS upgrade. How can I address this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 8:51 AM

FWIW, Big Sur requires 35.5Gbs of free space to download and install. You can check the applications folder to see if any remnant of "Install macOS Big Sur" is left over.

1 reply

mac os big sur upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.