Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Photo Album Sharing

Don't know why Apple doesn't allow the Family Sharing option to share the iCloud Photos Library. I've searched for an answer for years now and have submitted feedback to Apple and even sent an email to Tim to no avail. I know from surfing the web for years now that there are many others who wish to share the full Photos library.

So I've now decided, even though it pains me deeply, to stop sharing an Apple ID with my wife to share the entire 120 GB photos library and in essence duplicate the library in separate iCloud accounts. Most of this is due to the headaches of sharing the Apple ID which makes my wife's phone and watch show up with my name and calls come in on both our iPhones not to mention iMessage and Facetime headaches.

So now I have to pay for an iCloud storage plan for each of us and manually keep the two libraries synced. Thank you Apple.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 1:40 PM

have submitted feedback to Apple and even sent an email to Tim to no avail. I know from surfing the web for years now that there are many others who wish to share the full Photos library.

Not sure what type of reaction you are looking for in this technical support community.

Maybe you don't realize this, but shared albums do not count against your iCloud storage. They are hosted by Apple in space they pay for.

This comes with limits of course...

Photos uploaded to My Photo Stream or Shared Albums don't count against your iCloud storage.

Some additional limits for shared albums:

• Maximum shared albums an owner can share: 200
  • Maximum shared albums a user can subscribe to: 200
  • Maximum subscribers per shared album: 100 (the number of subscribers on each shared album)
  • Maximum combined number of photos and videos from all contributors in any one shared album: 5000

See >>> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202299

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2021 1:40 PM in response to Dennis Fowler

have submitted feedback to Apple and even sent an email to Tim to no avail. I know from surfing the web for years now that there are many others who wish to share the full Photos library.

Not sure what type of reaction you are looking for in this technical support community.

Maybe you don't realize this, but shared albums do not count against your iCloud storage. They are hosted by Apple in space they pay for.

This comes with limits of course...

Photos uploaded to My Photo Stream or Shared Albums don't count against your iCloud storage.

Some additional limits for shared albums:

• Maximum shared albums an owner can share: 200
  • Maximum shared albums a user can subscribe to: 200
  • Maximum subscribers per shared album: 100 (the number of subscribers on each shared album)
  • Maximum combined number of photos and videos from all contributors in any one shared album: 5000

See >>> https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202299

Family Photo Album Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.