Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac and printer issue.

iMac cannot find the printer when I print but will print from another mac. Any ideas?iMac cannot find the printer when I print but will print from another mac. Any ideas?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 1:50 PM

Please do the following in this order:

5 replies

Feb 13, 2021 6:51 AM in response to keithfromyork

The Canon site says that model printer will only work with AirPrint and will not work when connected via USB.

“This product is compatible with the operating system selected using AirPrint only - a driver is not required. 

The move from Canon drivers to AirPrint has been made to improve the user experience as any future updates will be applied automatically through your operating system. 

For details on how to print via AirPrint and troubleshooting information please visit our AirPrint guide.”

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/apple_airprint_guide/

Apple Support document for AirPrint with Big Sur

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/print-wirelessly-mac-airprint-printer-mchl3c1a7aef/mac

I hope this helps.

Feb 13, 2021 6:41 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I have the same issue and it appears a lot on other forums. I have a 3 year old 21.5 iMac, recently upgraded operating system to Big Sur and have been using a Canon TS8150 printer wirelessly without problems until now. It started with the print function being unable to find the printer until I turned the printer off and then on again, it then printed, but only that print job. If there was a queue then I had to keep repeating this process for each print job. Today it refused to print at all.

• I have reset the printer, reconnected both printer and iMac to my network, tested my network and all is ok.
  • I have reset printer settings in System Preferences. When I choose to add the printer, it can "see" it on the network but won't add it to System Preferences - it says it can't find it (yet it can see it??).
  • I have tried connecting by USB however the default Apple printer software in the add printer function is for older printers.
  • I have uninstalled printer software and trashed it then downloaded software from Canon. Still no joy even on USB.
  • Then repeated all the above steps.
  • I have shutdown and also restarted my iMac at least twice each. Done the same with my printer.
  • The printer works fine with iPhone and IPad, it works fine wirelessly with a Windows laptop from work, it just won't work with my iMac upgraded to Big Sur.

I have run out of ideas and advice on forums and am now suspecting a bug in Big Sur, particularly given the number of posts on this. Bugs with Apple upgrades is getting tiresome and this looks like one of those unless anyone else has had similar issues and managed to fix them?

Can I remove Big Sur and reinstall my previous operating system? (without more jeopardy!)

Thanks

Feb 13, 2021 9:41 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Thanks Jeff, really appreciate you getting back to me. Sadly none of the above guidance works - printer selection sees the printer but won't add it when I select it, I get an error message. I've been investigating uninstalling Big Sur and re-installing Catalina and may have to go down that route (once fully backed up!). The Canon TS8150 doesn't want to work with Big Sur.

Thanks again

Feb 13, 2021 12:07 PM in response to keithfromyork

I have found a workaround.

My TS8150 has a utility called Wireless Direct, it creates its own wifi network for devices to connect to without using a router. I have set it up as a WiFi option in System Preferences/Networks. It does mean however that in order to print I have to disengage my usual WiFi internet network, select the TS8150 network to print and then reconnect to my usual network for internet access.

Interestingly this adds the printer to the list of printers in Printers & Scanners (Big Sur won't let me do this on my usual WiFi connection - it can see it but when attempting to connect it always says there is an error) though I still can't print from my usual network using this, it just hangs. It only works when I switch WiFi networks.

Remind me never to upgrade my Apple OS ever ever ever again... its always more trouble than its worth

iMac and printer issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.