Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a book and want to number the pages, but not the cover page or table of contents page. How do I skip numbering them and start with the first page of the book?

I have a book and want to number the pages, but not the cover page or table of contents page. How do I skip numbering them and start with the first page of the book?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 4:52 PM

Place the Insertion point at the end of the text on the page before the one on which you want to start numbering. (in the example, numbering is to start on the third page)

From the Insert menu, choose Section Break.

Click the Document button to the right of the Format brush to open the Document inspector. Click Section to switch to the Section inspector.

In the Inspector, Uncheck the checkbox indicated by the red arrow, and the one above it.

In the document, click on the Header or Footer box where you want the page number to appear, (I’ve chosen the right side footer box only because it can be placed close to the Inspector,

Click either the Insert Page number tab pointing to the box, or the Insert Page Number menu bar indicated by the arrow.

From the menu that opens, choose the style you want applied to the page numbers.

Numbers will insert the (wrong) page number, using the style you selected, the Insert Page number menu bar  in the inspector will change to Format. 

(imagebelow): Click the Radio button indicated by the arrow to deselect “Sontinue” and activate “Start at. Use the stepper to set the Start at value to 1.

Done.

Regards,

Barry

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2021 4:52 PM in response to laszlo56

Place the Insertion point at the end of the text on the page before the one on which you want to start numbering. (in the example, numbering is to start on the third page)

From the Insert menu, choose Section Break.

Click the Document button to the right of the Format brush to open the Document inspector. Click Section to switch to the Section inspector.

In the Inspector, Uncheck the checkbox indicated by the red arrow, and the one above it.

In the document, click on the Header or Footer box where you want the page number to appear, (I’ve chosen the right side footer box only because it can be placed close to the Inspector,

Click either the Insert Page number tab pointing to the box, or the Insert Page Number menu bar indicated by the arrow.

From the menu that opens, choose the style you want applied to the page numbers.

Numbers will insert the (wrong) page number, using the style you selected, the Insert Page number menu bar  in the inspector will change to Format. 

(imagebelow): Click the Radio button indicated by the arrow to deselect “Sontinue” and activate “Start at. Use the stepper to set the Start at value to 1.

Done.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 9, 2021 3:06 PM in response to laszlo56

Most of the 'complications' arise from infamiliarity with the process and the amount of detail in the instructions to guide the reader through that unfamiliar territory. Like many things, once you've gone through the process a few times, it becomes much simpler.

Thanks for the checkmark.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 23, 2021 1:21 AM in response to laszlo56

"…but at page 11 it switched to the other corner for the rest of the document."

Strange, and not an expected behaviour, nor is it one I've ever seen before.

You could try inserting a section break at the end of page 9 or page 10, then setting the new section (after the break) to 'Match Previous section.

If that doesn't work. and there's no response from others in this thread, I'd suggest posting this issue as a new question, which could prompt a response from someone who skipped this discussion on seeing it was already marked 'Solved.'.

Regards,

Barry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.