Numbering a document created in Pages

I have a 120 page document. I want page 1 to appear on the ninth page of the document, followed by 2,3, 4, etc. to the end. with NO page numbers on pages 1 through 8. Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 15, 2023 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2023 8:49 AM

Is this a default Word Processing document with pages associated with sections, or a Page Layout style document where every page is a section?

Here is an example of a Word Processing document where the first section is comprised of four pages without page numbers, and a new section is the fifth thumbnail where when you insert a page number, it will be 5. Then you revisit the Document : Section panel, uncheck Match previous section, and set Numbering to Start at 1, not the default 5.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2023 8:49 AM in response to dkwnyny

Is this a default Word Processing document with pages associated with sections, or a Page Layout style document where every page is a section?

Here is an example of a Word Processing document where the first section is comprised of four pages without page numbers, and a new section is the fifth thumbnail where when you insert a page number, it will be 5. Then you revisit the Document : Section panel, uncheck Match previous section, and set Numbering to Start at 1, not the default 5.

Sep 16, 2023 6:34 AM in response to dkwnyny

One approach is the first eight pages of the document in one or more sections without page numbers. The ninth page begins a new section where in the Documents : Sections panel you uncheck Match previous section. Then on the ninth page, insert the page number. It should be numbered 1 but if not, revisit that Sections panel and force numbering to start at 1.

Sep 16, 2023 8:32 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi Viking OSX and thanks so much for taking the time to offer a solution. Unfortunately after many tries I can only get this to work for the first two pages, i.e. page 9 does become page 1 and the next page automatically becomes page 2. After that, no more numbers and when I add "3" every page after that is page 3. I tried to insert a section at page 3 but this doesn't seem to help. I may just need to sent this out, as I've been doing, as two separate documents. Thanks again and happy weekend.

Numbering a document created in Pages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.