Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloads won't display in stacks

My downloads on the dock used to display in a stack of files with the newest on the top. I was foolish and deleted my original downloads folder.

I tried ctrl clicking both the downloads on the dock and the desktop and choosing stacks but it still won't display correctly. I also restored using time machine and that didn't work.

Any other suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 9:45 AM

update: I remembered that some issues are solved by creating a new user profile. I created another user and the docked downloads works like default now. If anybody sees this, I wouldn't mind another solution that avoids having to restore my user profile with time machine to keep my old user profile settings and folders. It would be helpful if we worked out a solution that didn't involve wiping and starting from scratch. I am finding that is usually the final answer with Macs, unfortunately.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2021 9:45 AM in response to macandcheesespaghetti

update: I remembered that some issues are solved by creating a new user profile. I created another user and the docked downloads works like default now. If anybody sees this, I wouldn't mind another solution that avoids having to restore my user profile with time machine to keep my old user profile settings and folders. It would be helpful if we worked out a solution that didn't involve wiping and starting from scratch. I am finding that is usually the final answer with Macs, unfortunately.

Feb 9, 2021 10:17 AM in response to macandcheesespaghetti

I now think I won't be able to restore with time machine because that takes you out of your user profile and uses migration assistant. It would just erase my progress making the new user profile.

Another option is to turn on file sharing but that won't transfer the applications and settings. If anybody can think of any simpler solutions that would fix it on the original user profile that would be helpful and save me a lot of twiddling my thumbs for file transfers and reinstalls of programs. I will keep both profiles for a while and just deal with the minor inconvenience until I can just set stuff up to transfer and install while I'm away.

Downloads won't display in stacks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.