Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to use a new iPhone as wifi only device

I'm looking to potentially purchase an iphone 12 mini for my daughter for her birthday-- she's too young for an actual phone yet but I want her to be able to use the iphone 12 mini for 6 months- 12 months before I connect it to an actual phone carrier plan.

Will she be able to use the iphone 12 mini for iMessage, FaceTime, apps, etc. with just wifi?

Ultimately, she would be using the iphone 12 mini as an iPad or iPod for the first few months before adding a phone line to it.

Will this work? If not, can I do this with the iphone XR?

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 7:28 PM

1 reply

Feb 10, 2021 1:52 PM in response to kaitlen112

Hello, kaitlen112.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post, we understand you want to be able to set up an iPhone 12 mini without a carrier plan. We'd be glad to help out. During the initial set up, you'll need to activate the iPhone with an activate SIM card: Set up your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

After the iPhone is activated, you can remove the SIM card from the iPhone and use it for your purposes mentioned with using Wi-Fi only. This would apply to the iPhone XR as well unless this has been activated already.

Best regards.

how to use a new iPhone as wifi only device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.