Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird little speck/icon in the dock

Hello

I'm not sure this is relevant to MacOS Big Sur or a general problem, but in my dock there is a small spot next to the app icons. If I zoom in, I can tell that one of the dots is actually a tiny Safari app icon. I can't click it or remove it, but I can move it around on the dock. Any help?

Mac mini, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 3:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 4:12 AM

I am not clear what exac Mac this is

or

what exact macOS you are running.

What curious is the location, and the fact it is larger than a single pixel and it is perfectly centered.

If pixel that would have to be a small cluster...

—If it is a recent app, with no icon showing, can you grab it and drag it off the Dock?

—Change user preferences to not show recent items in the Dock / toggle the option?

—Did you try Control click on it>Option Remove from Dock

Command Tab will show all running apps on the system; Heads Up Display (HUD)

—If all else fails try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test as caches get rebuilt.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2021 4:12 AM in response to pulse83

I am not clear what exac Mac this is

or

what exact macOS you are running.

What curious is the location, and the fact it is larger than a single pixel and it is perfectly centered.

If pixel that would have to be a small cluster...

—If it is a recent app, with no icon showing, can you grab it and drag it off the Dock?

—Change user preferences to not show recent items in the Dock / toggle the option?

—Did you try Control click on it>Option Remove from Dock

Command Tab will show all running apps on the system; Heads Up Display (HUD)

—If all else fails try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test as caches get rebuilt.

Weird little speck/icon in the dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.