Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport express router

So here's the thing. I have an Apple airport express router. I've had it since 2008. My internet provider is Spectrum (formerly Time Warner). They recently doubled their speed from 200 mbps to 400 mbps. Given the age of my router I'm wondering if it is now a road block to the new speed. Thats my first question. Then, looking for a replacement, I read Apple no longer provides or supports routers. So my second question is, if I need to replace the current router...I require some direction or recommendation as to what will work with the new speed Spectrum has, and is compatible with my Apple computers. Thank you for your reply.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 7:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 8:36 AM

The Ethernet port on the AirPort Express has a top speed of 100 Mbps, so that in theory is the speed of which an Internet connection is capable using an AirPort Express. Realistically, because there is always some loss, the AirPort Express might provide 75-80 Mbps speeds.

So, while your Internet speed plan might have been 200 Mbps, the Express was delivering less than half of the speed of your "old" plan. It does not really matter that the speed been doubled to 400 Mbps, the performance of your Express remains the same as before.....about 75-80 Mbps.

As far as a new router, virtually any router will be compatible with Apple products, because all routers must meet industry standards. If you are the type of person that likes to keep things simple, our recommendation would be to first check with Spectrum to see what they can provide to you. The advantage here will be little to no setup required on your part and Spectrum will offer support for the router in case of any issues.

If you opt to purchase another router, Spectrum will provide no support for the product if there are any issues, and instead blame the router for the issues.

If you are not the type of person who likes to keep things simple, then any of the Top 10 Routers for use with Spectrum should meet your needs. Note that most of these products are both a modem and a router, so you would not need to use a separate modem and separate modem in most cases.

https://www.comparaboo.com/routers-compatible-with-spectrum?origin=google&google_params[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=c&google_params[creative]=482346168231&google_params[keyword]=&google_params[adposition]=&google_params[adgroupid]=106062690931&google_params[campaignid]=9881114630&bs=&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=dsa-19959388920&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9027202&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&new_api=true&dest=0&sys_id=0%7C894&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImpaZwpvd7gIViuHACh2CIwTQEAAYAiAAEgJEAfD_BwE

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2021 8:36 AM in response to sisters 4

The Ethernet port on the AirPort Express has a top speed of 100 Mbps, so that in theory is the speed of which an Internet connection is capable using an AirPort Express. Realistically, because there is always some loss, the AirPort Express might provide 75-80 Mbps speeds.

So, while your Internet speed plan might have been 200 Mbps, the Express was delivering less than half of the speed of your "old" plan. It does not really matter that the speed been doubled to 400 Mbps, the performance of your Express remains the same as before.....about 75-80 Mbps.

As far as a new router, virtually any router will be compatible with Apple products, because all routers must meet industry standards. If you are the type of person that likes to keep things simple, our recommendation would be to first check with Spectrum to see what they can provide to you. The advantage here will be little to no setup required on your part and Spectrum will offer support for the router in case of any issues.

If you opt to purchase another router, Spectrum will provide no support for the product if there are any issues, and instead blame the router for the issues.

If you are not the type of person who likes to keep things simple, then any of the Top 10 Routers for use with Spectrum should meet your needs. Note that most of these products are both a modem and a router, so you would not need to use a separate modem and separate modem in most cases.

https://www.comparaboo.com/routers-compatible-with-spectrum?origin=google&google_params[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=c&google_params[creative]=482346168231&google_params[keyword]=&google_params[adposition]=&google_params[adgroupid]=106062690931&google_params[campaignid]=9881114630&bs=&google_params[feeditemid]=&google_params[targetid]=dsa-19959388920&google_params[loc_interest_ms]=&google_params[loc_physical_ms]=9027202&google_params[devicemodel]=&google_params[target]=&new_api=true&dest=0&sys_id=0%7C894&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImpaZwpvd7gIViuHACh2CIwTQEAAYAiAAEgJEAfD_BwE

Feb 9, 2021 9:07 AM in response to RojoBoy

The downside to using a router that your provider "supports", is that the provider will not offer support for the router unless you obtain it from them.

Things might still be OK if you don't mind the XYZ router support folks telling you that the problem is with the provider. And the provider support folks telling you that the problem is with the router.

Feb 9, 2021 9:21 AM in response to sisters 4

Some providers will offer you a free modem/router in return for a new commitment for 2 years of service. Ask Spectrum what they can do for you.

If the provider has a "buy" option, you are always better off buying up front than paying twice the price or more over the next few years in rental payments. The provider wants you to "rent" for a reason.

There is one potential upside to renting.....most providers will allow you to upgrade the router after a few years.

Feb 9, 2021 2:30 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you again Bob...I'm bitting the bullet and renting from Spectrum. Age has happened and am taking the easy route. I went to the local Spectrum store...$5/mo includes modem and router. I get well over half of their 400 mbps with 9 devices sharing in the home. So...I'm happy, happy. I so appreciate the time and effort you've taken to help me out! Blessings to you.

airport express router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.