Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need for Speed -- AirPort Extreme as an Extender

I am seeking better speeds using my two routers, and I am not succeeding and seeking help.

I have two Aiport extremes; 5th generation and 6th generation. The 6ht gen, near my modem, gets 250Mbps download speed. The 5th gen, when used as an extender (to reach my office), clocks in at 18Mbps, no matter where I place it between my 6th gen router and my MBPro computer, located in my office. So, how do I get better speeds (ideally closer to 250Mbps as opposed to 18Mbps) using these routers? Do I buy another 6th gen router? Is there another Apple product to use as an extender? Do I move on from Apple Routers now that they are discontinued?

I am NOT Topgun, but I do have a need for speed.

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2021 11:14 AM

You can run an Ethernet cable up to 100 meters or about 325 feet with zero signal loss, so if you plan to use the MacBook Pro close to the 5th Gen AirPort, you would want to locate the 5th Gen AirPort as close as possible to the location where the MacBook Pro will normally be used.

If you are able to do this, then you could expect 250 Mbps speeds near the 5th Gen AirPort.

If you can only locate the 5th Gen about 50 feet away from the MacBook Pro, then there will be significant signal speed loss depending on how many walls, ceilings, or other obstructions like heavy furniture are present in the direct signal path between the 5th Gen AirPort and the MacBook Pro.

Without knowing more details about the number of obstructions, type of construction of the walls and ceilings, etc. it is not possible to accurately predict what type of performance you might expect with the 5th Gen located about 50 feet from the area where the MacBook Pro will be used, but it will be much better than locating the 5th Gen at the same location and using a WiFi connection between the AirPorts.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2021 11:14 AM in response to tvdowntown

You can run an Ethernet cable up to 100 meters or about 325 feet with zero signal loss, so if you plan to use the MacBook Pro close to the 5th Gen AirPort, you would want to locate the 5th Gen AirPort as close as possible to the location where the MacBook Pro will normally be used.

If you are able to do this, then you could expect 250 Mbps speeds near the 5th Gen AirPort.

If you can only locate the 5th Gen about 50 feet away from the MacBook Pro, then there will be significant signal speed loss depending on how many walls, ceilings, or other obstructions like heavy furniture are present in the direct signal path between the 5th Gen AirPort and the MacBook Pro.

Without knowing more details about the number of obstructions, type of construction of the walls and ceilings, etc. it is not possible to accurately predict what type of performance you might expect with the 5th Gen located about 50 feet from the area where the MacBook Pro will be used, but it will be much better than locating the 5th Gen at the same location and using a WiFi connection between the AirPorts.

Oct 8, 2021 10:15 AM in response to tvdowntown

Are you able to consider using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection between the 6th Gen and the 5th Gen? That is the only way that maximum speeds can be obtained in an extended network. You could expect 250 Mbps speeds at the 5th Gen AirPort with this type of setup, assuming that it is operating correctly.

The theoretical "best" speed that you could ever expect using a wireless connection to extend the network would be about 100-120 Mbps, and that would assume that the 5th Gen is located close to the 6th Gen AirPort. In other words, the further that the 5th Gen is located from the 6th Gen, the slower the performance will be.

Even if you wanted to consider ditching the AirPorts and going with one of the newer "mesh" WiFi systems, the best performance with these products will still require wired Ethernet cable connections between the WiFi access points.

Oct 8, 2021 10:30 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I can purchase a long, Ethernet cable and connect the 5th gen router to the 6th gen router. I can snake a 50 ft Ethernet cable (I have 100 feet between my 6th gen router and my office MBPro) to a midpoint location to place my 5th gen router. Is that the optimal way to get about 120Mbps? Is it better to purchase a 25ft Ethernet cable to be closer to the 6th gen router and 75 ft away from the MBPro?

Oct 8, 2021 12:09 PM in response to tvdowntown

Sure, happy to help.

If you decide to run the Ethernet cable......

1) Connect it from one of the 3 LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the 6th Gen AirPort to the "O" Ethernet port on the 5th Gen AirPort

2) Perform a Hard Reset on the 5th Gen AirPort

3) Set up the 5th Gen AirPort again using the AirPort Utility setup wizard to "extend using Ethernet", which is the correct setup for the 5th Gen AirPort.

Need for Speed -- AirPort Extreme as an Extender

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.