Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS Big Sur doesn't download from software update

Hi, I have a 2020 M1 MacBook Pro and it won't download Big Sur updates from the systems preferences software updater. Each update I have done since I had the MacBook Pro has had to be done through the App Store. I have done this for the 11.1 updates and I had to do it for 11.2 last week and now the same thing is happening with 11.2.1

There is plenty of space on my drive. When I try and download the update it will start the download but then it never completes it. There are no error messages, it just gets stuck. The Internet is fine - I am using another computer. We have fibre, so it is not the speed.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks in advance

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 5:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 2:27 PM

Hello KelpieMum,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about the trouble you're having updating macOS Big Sur via System Preferences. Are you by chance using a VPN connection or security software? If so, temporarily disable or remove those to see if that helps. If it does, you'll want to work with the app developers to see how to stop interfering with those connections: How to contact an app developer

If that doesn't help, or you're not using those, let's help to isolate this. First, try updating while started to safe mode. This will let us know if a third-party app/process is interfering. Here's more information on safe mode and how to start there: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If you're not able to update there, restart your Mac normally to exit safe mode. Then, create a new user account to see if you can update there. This tells us if the issue is system-wide or only in your user account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Keep us posted on the results.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2021 2:27 PM in response to KelpieMum

Hello KelpieMum,

We're glad you thought to ask Apple Support Communities about the trouble you're having updating macOS Big Sur via System Preferences. Are you by chance using a VPN connection or security software? If so, temporarily disable or remove those to see if that helps. If it does, you'll want to work with the app developers to see how to stop interfering with those connections: How to contact an app developer

If that doesn't help, or you're not using those, let's help to isolate this. First, try updating while started to safe mode. This will let us know if a third-party app/process is interfering. Here's more information on safe mode and how to start there: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If you're not able to update there, restart your Mac normally to exit safe mode. Then, create a new user account to see if you can update there. This tells us if the issue is system-wide or only in your user account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Keep us posted on the results.

Take care.

Mac OS Big Sur doesn't download from software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.