Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App store asking for apple id password when updating apps

app store is always asking me for my apple id password when updating apps on my phone . How do i fix this issue ?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 5:24 PM

Hey there, ace9117h,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. If we understand, you are being prompted to enter a password when updating apps. We'd be happy to help.

If your iPhone was previous used with a different Apple ID, it's possible the reason you're prompted to enter a password is because the apps in question were downloaded with the old Apple ID. Apps are tied to the Apple ID account that purchased/downloaded them, and if a different Apple ID is signed into the iTunes and App Store on the device, will request the password to verify the identity. The way to solve this problem is to delete the apps and redownload them with the currently signed in Apple ID.

If that does not solve your issue, don't hesitate to respond back. If you do, please include additional information, such as what exactly the password request says (do not paraphrase) and what happens when you try entering your password.

Best!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2021 5:24 PM in response to ace9117h

Hey there, ace9117h,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities. If we understand, you are being prompted to enter a password when updating apps. We'd be happy to help.

If your iPhone was previous used with a different Apple ID, it's possible the reason you're prompted to enter a password is because the apps in question were downloaded with the old Apple ID. Apps are tied to the Apple ID account that purchased/downloaded them, and if a different Apple ID is signed into the iTunes and App Store on the device, will request the password to verify the identity. The way to solve this problem is to delete the apps and redownload them with the currently signed in Apple ID.

If that does not solve your issue, don't hesitate to respond back. If you do, please include additional information, such as what exactly the password request says (do not paraphrase) and what happens when you try entering your password.

Best!

App store asking for apple id password when updating apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.