Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos for Mac Big Sur stuck on "Restoring from iCloud..."

Photos for Mac is no longer showing my most recent photos and is not in sync with my photos on my other devices or on iCloud.com. It's been stuck on "Restoring from iCloud" for a couple of weeks now. It happened after I imported a bunch of small video files which took a long time to upload. The files have indeed been uploaded to iCloud, but my Mac stopped syncing, so I chose to restore my Mac Photos library. Now it doesn't seem to update at all. I have about 32 000 photos.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 11:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 11:38 PM

Hi

What format and codec are the videos you uploaded. More than likely they are not compatible in some way with your mac, and that has stalled the synchronisation process. Unfortunately when this happens Photos/iCloud don't give any useful sort of error message.

A solution might be to remove those videos from iCloud, by logging on to:

www.icloud.com

with your apple ID.

See this article about what formats are no longer supported.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209029

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2021 11:38 PM in response to thomasfromnor

Hi

What format and codec are the videos you uploaded. More than likely they are not compatible in some way with your mac, and that has stalled the synchronisation process. Unfortunately when this happens Photos/iCloud don't give any useful sort of error message.

A solution might be to remove those videos from iCloud, by logging on to:

www.icloud.com

with your apple ID.

See this article about what formats are no longer supported.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT209029

May 14, 2021 4:59 PM in response to thomasfromnor

Something has been broken with syncing from iCloud to Mac Photos in the last few months for me too. I also have a pretty big library, ~18,000 photos and ~800 videos. Photos and videos I take on my iPhone get uploaded to iCloud and sync to my iPad. They don't always make it to the Photos app on my Mac, which seems to get stuck all the time, though it's status claims "Updated Just Now". For example, it's currently about a week behind what I see in icloud.com and missing ~30 items. I have 7GB of free space and fiber internet so pretty sure those aren't issues.

I've had more than one support call with Apple and they walked me through creating a brand new photo library and re-syncing everything from iCloud. That worked in that it brought Photos on Mac up to date up until that point. But weeks later and a new version of MacOS (11.3.1) and Photos.app (Version 6.0 (340.0.221)) and the syncing continues to be broken.

Not sure when things broke but this all worked months ago without problems. These issues are making me reconsider whether I should be paying for and can trust iCloud with my data.

May 15, 2021 12:41 AM in response to theGrowingNoise

7GB of free space where?

If on your mac - this is barely enough to run the system, and may well be contributing to the problem of syncing new photos. You should consider either moving the library to an external volume (see link, particularly regarding the requirements for the external volume) or using "optimise mac storage" to move full size originals off your mac. (but then you have to worry about how you back up your library)

May 15, 2021 3:21 AM in response to theGrowingNoise

though it's status claims "Updated Just Now".

Updated just now means that Photos has updated all information about the library, but not, that all originals have been downloaded in the full resolution. If you are running low on storage, Photos will stop with downloading originals, even wit "Optimise Storage" disabled. Tony is right, that 7GB of "available storage" are needing attention immediately. I noticed on my Macs that even 20GB of available storage will make Photos pause with downloading originals.

whether I should be paying for and can trust iCloud with my data.

You certainly can trust iCloud with your documents and data, but iCloud does not suffice as a backup.

You always need an independent backup copy of your data, whether you are storing them in iCloud or locally on your Mac. Having your data only stored once and keeping working your only copy is a disaster waiting to happen. You need an independent copy of your documents and data and your photos that is kept safe and that you never touch.

Are you making regular backups with Time Machine? That would be the easiest way to keep your photos save, unless you are using "optimise Storage".

Photos for Mac Big Sur stuck on "Restoring from iCloud..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.