Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery on a M1 MacBook Pro seems to drain very fast

Hello, I am a new MacOS user, after having iPads and iPhones before.

My simple question is: Apple says, that a M1 MacBook Pro is suitable for a battery lasting for 20hrs in a normal use. I am not a normal user, but my battery seems not to last even 10hrs.

Eg. I was testing this with Logic X Pro: All I did, was using a virtual drum track for rhythm and playing and recording some guitar audio. In 4 Minutes the battery loses 1% and in 40 Minutes it loses about 10%.

So after about 6 to 7 hrs the battery would be at 0% percent. My question now is: Is this normal behavior or does it lose too much of power? My health status says good...

I also noticed before login my clock is showing the wrong time, after login it is right. I thought, there is something like a BIOS in other computers, which counts the clock. Isn't that the case in M1 machines?

My highest concern is, that my MacBook doesn't reach the maximum charge. So is there anything like a standardized test software, so that everyone with this concern can test, if there is an issue?

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 8:51 AM

FrankDivine wrote:

My simple question is: Apple says, that a M1 MacBook Pro is suitable for a battery lasting for 20hrs in a normal use. I am not a normal user, but my battery seems not to last even 10hrs.

Eg. I was testing this with Logic X Pro: All I did, was using a virtual drum track for rhythm and playing and recording some guitar audio. In 4 Minutes the battery loses 1% and in 40 Minutes it loses about 10%.

So after about 6 to 7 hrs the battery would be at 0% percent. My question now is: Is this normal behavior or does it lose too much of power? My health status says good...

I also noticed before login my clock is showing the wrong time, after login it is right. I thought, there is something like a BIOS in other computers, which counts the clock. Isn't that the case in M1 machines?

My highest concern is, that my MacBook doesn't reach the maximum charge. So is there anything like a standardized test software, so that everyone with this concern can test, if there is an issue?

Hey FrankDivine —

This would be expected on you battery time w/ that software running—seems normal.

Apples predictions on battery time are under the "most ideal conditions", hardly ever real life—it is marketing and always has been— screen dimmed, keyboard light off, limited casual software only...you get the picture.

Your hypothetical prediction "So after about 6 to 7 hrs the battery" seems a great for run time on battery comparatively

The clock error is a known bug.

The battery learns as it goes— don't try and micro-manage the battery. It is not linear.

ref: About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple ...

If you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need portability use the battery.

Check again in 6 months/year before the 1-yr warranty expires—unless you bought AppleCare+

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2021 8:51 AM in response to FrankDivine

FrankDivine wrote:

Hey FrankDivine —

This would be expected on you battery time w/ that software running—seems normal.

Apples predictions on battery time are under the "most ideal conditions", hardly ever real life—it is marketing and always has been— screen dimmed, keyboard light off, limited casual software only...you get the picture.

Your hypothetical prediction "So after about 6 to 7 hrs the battery" seems a great for run time on battery comparatively

The clock error is a known bug.

The battery learns as it goes— don't try and micro-manage the battery. It is not linear.

ref: About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple ...

If you are near the mains leave it plugged in, if you need portability use the battery.

Check again in 6 months/year before the 1-yr warranty expires—unless you bought AppleCare+

Battery on a M1 MacBook Pro seems to drain very fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.