Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad cannot connect to App Store

I am trying to update apps on a family member's 3rd or 4th generation iPad, which I do update from time to time.

However, recently the iPad can no longer connect to the App Store to update apps.

There is a pop up that says "The iTunes Store is unable to process purchases at this time" (pic attached).

There are other threads that mention this issue specifically, but no fixes seem to work, such as:

• signing out and back into iCloud and iTunes using the Apple ID.

• a forced restart of the iPad

• restoring the device from backup

Any suggestions from the experts out there would be appreciated.

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 9:55 AM

4 replies

Feb 14, 2021 1:44 PM in response to codyMR

CodyMR,

What version of the iOS/iPadOS is currently installed on your family members iPad? You mentioned not being able to update apps, are the apps from the screenshot the only ones this is happening with? Are you able to download new apps? Is the version of the apps being downloaded compatible with the iOS/iPadOS software that is currently on the iPad? You can also try deleting and re-downloading the apps.

Also, try forcing the App Store app to close and relaunching it to see if that makes a difference. Check out how to Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch.

If you are still having trouble, you may be able to reach out to the billing team at Apple Support for further assistance here: Get Support.

Hope that helps!

Feb 17, 2021 9:17 PM in response to jeremy_v

Hi Jeremy_V,

"What version of the iOS/iPadOS is currently installed on your family members iPad?"

iOS 9.3.5 which is the last version available for this iPad model.

"You mentioned not being able to update apps, are the apps from the screenshot the only ones this is happening with? Are you able to download new apps?"

It appears to be an issue with all apps. Any app that I try to update or download I get the message: 'The iTunes Store is unable to process purchases at this time.'

Is the version of the apps being downloaded compatible with the iOS/iPadOS software that is currently on the iPad? You can also try deleting and re-downloading the apps.

In the past if an app is not compatible there is a pop up saying something like: 'This application is not compatible with this iPad. Would you like to download an older version?'

It appears that there is a problem contacting the store. Also apps that are not compatible tend not to show up as updates.

Also, try forcing the App Store app to close and relaunching it to see if that makes a difference. Check out how to Close an app on your iPhone or iPod touch.

Tried this as well as other possible solutions listed in my OP.

No luck.

If you are still having trouble, you may be able to reach out to the billing team at Apple Support for further assistance here: Get Support.

Thanks, I will try your suggestion.

Feb 13, 2021 4:04 PM in response to MoonJ.

Hi MoonJ,

Yes, this problem seems to persist on other wifi networks.

Other info:

• Tried to update apps on a neighbour's wifi. No change.

• This only effects the App Store updates. iTunes and Podcast downloads and calendar and contacts syncing using the Apple ID works normally.

• This issue seems unique to this particular iPad. Other Macs, iPhones and iPads in the household update apps normally.

• I have troubleshooted using the link that you provided above. No luck.

iPad cannot connect to App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.