Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Big Sur 11.2.1 update keeps restarting my computer, and then locking it up. Anybody else having this problem?

The Big Sur 11.2.1 update keeps restarting my computer, and then locking it up. Anybody else having this problem?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 10:40 AM

As @MyApple8MyPC mentions - it reconfiguring thing in background. If continues to loop - Force Shutdown by Power Button. Disconnect all external drives. Connect to charger and startup and immediately hold - Shift - key. This will boot in Safe Mode and do a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load required Apple Software . . so loads slowly - Normal. If all goes well, this will allow the upgrade to finish and present the log in screen

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2021 10:40 AM in response to 21Swanzz

As @MyApple8MyPC mentions - it reconfiguring thing in background. If continues to loop - Force Shutdown by Power Button. Disconnect all external drives. Connect to charger and startup and immediately hold - Shift - key. This will boot in Safe Mode and do a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load required Apple Software . . so loads slowly - Normal. If all goes well, this will allow the upgrade to finish and present the log in screen

Feb 12, 2021 2:28 PM in response to JSB1965

I seemed to have no problem updating to 11.2.1 on my new Mac mini M1, until getting a panic "mvme_ppl: ..." the next morning while the new computer was sitting alone idle. It ran normally the rest of day, and before ending my day, I booted into safe mode for less than ten minutes. Later, I noticed from "About This Mac/System Report/Installations/" that macOS 11.2.1 was reported to have been installed late in the evening when I did the safe boot exercise. (Not in early morning when the install was actually done, and during that day, the high level "About This Mac" was indicating that I was running 11.2.1.)

It seems possible that the install was not fully completed, even though outward appearance would indicate otherwise (except for the panic shutdown).

I have been running very nicely for almost two days since the normal boot after trying the safe mode.

It has been mentioned on other threads that booting into safe mode for a few minutes may repair some issues; seems prudent to try if you have any issues with this update.

The details of both the panic and the curious install time of the macOS update have been reported to Apple.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.