Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

big sur 11.1 crashing and restarting

I updated Big Sur to 11.1 & my Mac mini is crashing/restarting

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 6:05 AM

11 replies

Dec 18, 2020 3:42 PM in response to pdunkle

Same issue here on my M1 Mac mini as well. It was running fairly stable on Big Sur 11.0.1 and after upgrading to Big Sur 11.1, it is crashing and restarting multiple times a day. There doesn't seem to be any pattern of a specific task or software running that causes it to crash that I've been able to observe. I'm using it with an LG Ultrafine 5K display but otherwise don't have any special hardware devices attached.

From reading multiple news articles, it sounds like this may be fairly widespread right now with M1 chip Macs.

Jan 10, 2021 9:52 PM in response to pdunkle

Big Sur (11.1) crash and restart every day on M1 Macbook air.

I cannot move back to older OS, since they don't have M1 support.

It is so annoying that every day randomly (I use Slack, Chrome, Safari, Postman and the default Apple products) the system crashes with pink death (the whole monitor becomes pink; it is the fancy version of the blue death on Windows), restarts, I put my comments to the error reports and nothing changes.

I did not have such an unstable macOS like this Big S... sur.

It just make the M1 Macs unusable in corporate environment.

So said to have such a great machine such an unstable OS.

Jan 11, 2021 8:58 AM in response to Mario Mullins

I reinstalled Big Sur & it still crashed so I uninstalled an antivirus program called Clam X AV & it has not crashed in over a week. The only issue that remains is that my Dell 4K monitor is not recognized on restart if I am using USB C. It works fine after restart if I unplug and replug the USB C. Everything works fine using HDMI. Go figure! I noticed many people Eem to have issues with various US C Hubs and multi monitor setups.

Jan 16, 2021 3:19 AM in response to tomfromlantauisland

Well I don't really think I would deserve a commend on my "solution". I was just echoing my disbelief :-) All things considered, though, I try to install as few third party applications as required. I just use the web versions of apps if they have them available. (Office 365 for instance works well for the most part in the browser and our company requires it).

big sur 11.1 crashing and restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.