Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur crashes after 11.4 update

I hv 2020 MBA, after updating Big Sur 11.4 system crashes and restarts frequently. Even in safe mode it crashes

pls help

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on May 26, 2021 10:31 PM

14 replies

May 27, 2021 2:12 AM in response to ajazmhaskar

ajazmhaskar wrote:

I hv 2020 MBA, after updating Big Sur 11.4 system crashes and restarts frequently. Even in safe mode it crashes

pls help

Since it occurs even in Safe Mode - this eliminates Third Party Software as the source of the issue. Several things come into play at this time. One - Lack of Empty Space on the Internal Drive. The OS Requires at least 10 - 15 GB of Empty Space at ALL Times to operate and function properly. Secondly, the User Account is the problem and need to make a test account to see if it happen in this new test account. Thirdly - there is a Hardware issue and needs to be Evaluate Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider

Suggest working in order to trouble shoot. If Lack Empty Space is determined as the real problem - What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out? and / or How to free up storage space on your Mac

May 27, 2021 6:24 AM in response to ajazmhaskar

ajazmhaskar wrote:

1) There is enough space, hence this ruled out
2) test account, i cannot do this as system abruptly crashes anytime
3) i tried uninstalling all external apps which i had
4) Did the disk check with inbuilt utility, no such error reported

Before 11.4 my system was working very smoothly, just after update this issue started.

If you can do all the above that is good. Then you should be able to Create a Test Account - unless you are Not Logged in as the Administrator Account.

May 27, 2021 9:54 AM in response to PRP_53

I have the same problem. There’s plenty of disk space - sometimes it freezes before login and restarts. I tried safe mode it won’t let me login frozen after login screen. It’s restarting itself with the sound outgoing mail makes. Freezes if I try to reinstall Mac OS (I don’t even get that far it freezes at login).

MacBook Pro 2019, loved it til this fiasco.

im NOT a happy camper.

Jun 16, 2021 6:59 PM in response to ajazmhaskar

After several re installs and restores from my time machine. Calls to the helpful apple support team. They suggested that I wipe everything and only put the OS BIG Sur 11.4 back and see what happens. No system crashes over a couple of days.

Installed Drop Box and within minutes down went the mac. Removed drop box and rock solid for a couple of days. Reinstalled only drop box and within seconds down it went again. Removed it and again its all good. So now putting my time machine back up on using the migration tool. Expect it will crash again and I will just remove dropbox and see how I go. If I have problems with this I will re-post. My old imac had crashes to begin with after the latest update but seems stable now but a bit slow, so will ditch drop box on it as well. My crashes were kernel panics. My macbook pro is I think a 2017 build. Purchased in 2019 been a solid and reliable unit. With the crashes it was my first ever call to Apple. I don't have any kind of apple maintenance plan. Apples response was fast, returning calls immediately, Helpful advice. It did take 3 calls each trying a different approach, but the options they suggested were reasonable and sensible. Not the did you turn it off and back on again responses. Good Luck.

Jun 16, 2021 7:59 PM in response to Robrose_57

Hey! Good to hear you found the source of the problem!

Thats a great test, to restore from the backup fully, and delete the one program you’ve linked the issue to.

If you need to, there are other ways to move your data back onto your Mac, especially if moving the data from an older Mac, which may have had old, incompatible software, Or corrupted files linked with the software.

I’d say, as well if the performance suffers on the new Mac after migrating all the data, but works fine on a clean/fresh install, it’s sometimes a good thing to erase and set it up as new without migrating EVERYTHING over, which would include those corrupted files or apps in the first place, as well as system and hidden files that are outdated and that you really may not need in the new System/Mac. and to manually/selectively move over the data you need on the new machine. It’s typically not a problem at all, but would depend on an individuals set up, the age of the previous Mac, the performance of the previous Mac, and the integrity of the external drive the backup is on.

In the case, which I’ve seen before, that the permissions of .Dropbox are haywire, and causing troubles, you may be able to use Terminal to fix that, (If uninstall/reinstall didn’t do it, and especially if the data was migrated from the previous source).

Otherwise, hope that works for you! Curious to know if just uninstalling Dropbox after the migration fixes the problem! Good luck!

Big Sur crashes after 11.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.