Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.1 installation from Catalina now crashing & rebooting since upgrade.

Big Sur 11.1 crashes and reboots every few hours after 5k 2019 iMAC running Catalina 10.15 upgraded to Big Sur 11.1. What is fix? Any work arounds or fixes for Big Sur 11.1 crashes?

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 6:08 AM

Could be ill-advised system modifications that worked in Catalina but don't in Big Sur, or it could be some random corruption during the install.

Sort out any system modifications you might have or try reinstalling Big Sur.

5 replies

Jan 5, 2021 9:36 AM in response to hbrooks2

I ended up spending yesterday totally reformatted the iMAC, restored data and reinstalled applications(after arlier attempts to reinstall only Big Sur... did not solve the problem). I did find at least two problem applications but these are working fine on a MacBook Pro I also upgraded Big Sur from same release of Catalina. The MacBook Pro still is running with no issues after its upgrade, although to be safe I have also removed the problem applications from this system as well.

So far so good. I assuming problem solved.

Big Sur 11.1 installation from Catalina now crashing & rebooting since upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.