You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AOL mail not working on iPhone (2021)

I have iphone 6s that was recently updated.

It says no password provided for AOL. please go to settings and enter password...Of course, my password is already there.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 2:43 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 3:13 PM

AOL is now requiring App-Specific passwords to be entered instead of your normal password. This is part of their security measure. So, How does one create an App Specific password to enter for AOL email account(s)? See below:

If you've activated 2-step verification for your AOL account, you'll need to generate and use an "app password" to access AOL Mail from these apps.

1. Sign in and go to the AOL Account security page. You can do this by signing on to AOL from a computer.

2. Click Generate app password or Manage app passwords.

3. Select your app from the drop down menu and click Generate.

4. Follow the instructions below the password.

- Be sure to enter the password into your app without any spaces.

5. Click Done.

6. Use this app password and your email address to sign in to your email app.

Axel F.

68 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 10, 2021 3:13 PM in response to adilas

AOL is now requiring App-Specific passwords to be entered instead of your normal password. This is part of their security measure. So, How does one create an App Specific password to enter for AOL email account(s)? See below:

If you've activated 2-step verification for your AOL account, you'll need to generate and use an "app password" to access AOL Mail from these apps.

1. Sign in and go to the AOL Account security page. You can do this by signing on to AOL from a computer.

5. Click Done.

Axel F.

Feb 18, 2021 11:10 AM in response to donbos3

donbos3 wrote:

Thank you, Axel. I would have never been able to figure this out. I have tried to reset password numerous times. It would be nice if Apple would send out an alert to customers to advise when something like this comes up. This is the first time I was aware of this procedure.

AOL is not an Apple product. You should be addressing AOL about not advising their user about the security change.

Mar 25, 2021 9:27 AM in response to Rita0176

Hello Rita,

5. Click Done.

Axel F.

Apr 8, 2021 9:17 AM in response to Axel Foley

Axel, thank you. It was a bit more complicated for me because I have two accounts that appear on both ipad and iphone, and they only wanted to let me have one of each (switching back and forth just to make things interesting) but eventually I got everything synchronized so that both accounts work on both of them and the computer too. So, many many thanks.

I would just like to add, for folks who are not awfully familiar with the innards of AOL, that before you get to Step One above you need to go to Safety (on the header bar), then choose Security Control, then go all the way down to the bottom of the page to Help and then Passwords. Then you enter your password, and finally Manage Password is at the bottom of the page.

May 11, 2021 7:37 AM in response to lory176

5. Click Done.

Axel F.

May 16, 2021 3:18 PM in response to adilas

I just encountered the same issue on 6s, and thought it was because I no longer had enough storage to do the latest software update!

I simply just deleted my AOL account: Settings > Mail > Accounts > AOL > Delete Account. Then re-added it: Settings > Mail > Accounts > Add Account, and the issue was resolved!

Hope this is as easy for everyone else as it was for me!

Jun 8, 2021 8:50 AM in response to Jeff_Fuchs

Hello Jeff, you have to log in to your AOL account through their website to generate the app-specific password as shown in my instructions below-

1. ➔ Sign in and go to the AOL Account security page. You can do this by signing on to AOL from a computer.

5. Click Done.

Axel F.

Jun 25, 2021 1:34 PM in response to adilas

This is no longer working. When you go through the steps you provided the iphone makes you put in a new aol email password and then it promptly returns you to the setting app to add an email address without adding the email address. This is getting amazingly frustrating. All I did was change my aol password online and now I cannot get aol email on my iphone using the regular mail app. They need to fix this problem.

AOL mail not working on iPhone (2021)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.