Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

messages app: app drawer missing on macbook air- Catalina

Recently had to install a new hard drive in my Mac Air. Currently Running Catalina. My Messages app is missing the icons for adding photos and opening the app drawer FOR MESSENGER. I have the app in my dock, I am not missing the dock or the app in the doc, I am missing the icons for app drawer and photo IN THE MESSENGER APP. Please advise.

Bottom of Messenger app on my Mac Air (no photo or app drawer icons):

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 3:13 PM

The images you show that have those two buttons, one for camera and one for Apps, those appear on the iPhone. However on all the Macs I use, which are running MacOS ranging from El Capitan (10.11) through Catalina (10.15.7), those buttons do not appear, they never have. They don't appear on Macs in the Messages window, they only appear on the iPhone Message window.

So I think what you see is normal.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2021 3:13 PM in response to kimbersykes

The images you show that have those two buttons, one for camera and one for Apps, those appear on the iPhone. However on all the Macs I use, which are running MacOS ranging from El Capitan (10.11) through Catalina (10.15.7), those buttons do not appear, they never have. They don't appear on Macs in the Messages window, they only appear on the iPhone Message window.

So I think what you see is normal.

Feb 10, 2021 6:23 PM in response to steve626

Thank you. I couldn't remember for sure, yes the images showing the buttons are iphone. I was, however, able to drag and drop images prior to my hard drive crash and can't do this now so I am missing something... was the UI updated in the few days I was w/out a mac air? Am I missing the "new" way to drop in files and images? Is Buddies>Send file they only way to insert photos? Sometimes that works for me, sometimes it doesn't. I am open to an operator error, lol (usually is) just need to know what it is.

messages app: app drawer missing on macbook air- Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.