Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 1st Generation not Pairing with iPad 6th Generation

I have a 6th generation iPad (A1893) that will not connect via Blutooth with a charged, 1st generation Apple Pencil (A1603). I am connecting the pencil to the Lightning port on the iPad when attempting to pair. It briefly connects (sometimes) for about 2 seconds then disconnects. Everything I have read suggests the pencil is compatible with my iPad. Am I mistaken? If it is compatible, what else can I try. I have forgotten the pencil under devices in Bluetooth and restarted the iPad several times. Thanks for any input.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 10, 2021 7:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 5:27 AM

This is the first time I have attempted to pair it with my iPad. The pencil had not been charged for about a year, so I let it charge for 30 minutes last night before trying to pair. Nevertheless, it is on the charger now. It should be fully charged when I get home. Just wondering if the pencil works (2 years old).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2021 5:27 AM in response to MichelPM

This is the first time I have attempted to pair it with my iPad. The pencil had not been charged for about a year, so I let it charge for 30 minutes last night before trying to pair. Nevertheless, it is on the charger now. It should be fully charged when I get home. Just wondering if the pencil works (2 years old).

Feb 11, 2021 5:42 AM in response to klowe15

As described, your Apple Pencil is exhibiting symptoms of a dead battery - that will not accept or hold any charge.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”.

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

I hope this information proves to be helpful in both diagnosing and resolving the problem.

Apple Pencil 1st Generation not Pairing with iPad 6th Generation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.