Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac voice dictation sound

My company just gave me a new Mac Starting and stopping voice dictation used to play a sound but it does not on the new machine. I like hearing the sound when dictation stops so that I know that it stoped listening. How do I turn on the sound that lets me know when dictation starts and when it stops.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 8:29 AM

On the System Preferences > Accessibility > Voice Control panel, select Play sound when command is recognized. Set your volume in the Sound preference pane, but neither the selection of alert sound nor selecting Play user interface sound effects will have any bearing on the sound emitted by Dictation when it recognizes your command. It has its own unique "whiz" sound.

On that Accessibility > Voice Control panel, there is a button named Commands… Click that and in the list of commands, you will come across the unselected phrase Turn off Voice Control. That is really the only way to stop Dictation, so select that, and then the Done button on that panel. You may find that this setting does not remain set though.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2021 8:29 AM in response to Paul Kleeberg

On the System Preferences > Accessibility > Voice Control panel, select Play sound when command is recognized. Set your volume in the Sound preference pane, but neither the selection of alert sound nor selecting Play user interface sound effects will have any bearing on the sound emitted by Dictation when it recognizes your command. It has its own unique "whiz" sound.

On that Accessibility > Voice Control panel, there is a button named Commands… Click that and in the list of commands, you will come across the unselected phrase Turn off Voice Control. That is really the only way to stop Dictation, so select that, and then the Done button on that panel. You may find that this setting does not remain set though.

mac voice dictation sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.