Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Sign In with Apple want password to my Computer

This is confusing. on website, using Safari, and even just now to sign in to my Apple account to post this question, Apple ask for my password to access my computer, not password to my Apple account. Why Apple wants my password to computer isn't explained. if enter Apple account password, it shakes telling me wrong password.

I don't access some site, b/c I'm not going to put online my password. What and Why is this?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 11, 2021 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2021 1:33 PM

ArmandoWyo wrote:

I guess so. I don't remember ever creating a PW for Keychain. I am the only account in the MBP. Actually Apple Sign In doesn't say to enter PW for keychain. It says enter PW for my MBP.

In MacOS your login Keychain password is the same password as your MacOS local user account. It would only ever be different if you deliberately changed your Keychain password. So yes, it is asking for confirmation to use Keychain with log in with Apple. I see that every time I log in to these forums from my Mac Mini (running Big Sur) instead of the usual forum software web site login pop up.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2021 1:33 PM in response to ArmandoWyo

ArmandoWyo wrote:

I guess so. I don't remember ever creating a PW for Keychain. I am the only account in the MBP. Actually Apple Sign In doesn't say to enter PW for keychain. It says enter PW for my MBP.

In MacOS your login Keychain password is the same password as your MacOS local user account. It would only ever be different if you deliberately changed your Keychain password. So yes, it is asking for confirmation to use Keychain with log in with Apple. I see that every time I log in to these forums from my Mac Mini (running Big Sur) instead of the usual forum software web site login pop up.

Feb 12, 2021 12:46 PM in response to ArmandoWyo

Eric, I know you know your stuff. Practically everything Apple and have helped me tremendously many times.

But this leaves me puzzled.

Just now, to write a this, I clicked Reply, 1st comes a page that say:

“Do you want to sign into idmsa.Apple.com with your Apple ID.” Options are to use another ID or “Continue with Password.” if click continue, instead of entering you Apple ID password, up come box to provide password to computer “for the user to continue.” No option to provide your Apple password to enter you Apple ID.

But it you try to “use another ID”, not your Apple one, up comes page to enter info for your Apple ID. Safari provides email and PW.

So, if do NOT follow instructions, when try to "use another ID," you get to enter the correct info for your Apple ID.

Why has Apple put this misleading step leading you away from entering your Apple ID directly and instead asked for password to your computer?

Why does Sign In with Apple want password to my Computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.