Safari keeps asking for my Mac password to autofill website passwords

I found this support article, which seems to address my issue:

If your Mac keeps asking for your keychain password - Apple Support

However, I do not have an EDIT button and I don't see a "Lock After" setting.

I am running MacOS 13.3.1.

Does anyone have any idea how to solve this issue on my system?

Thans!

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on Apr 28, 2023 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 8:34 AM

Thanks for the advice!

I was on the phone with Apple support about some other things today and brought this item up as well. They had a solution:

settings/touch ID & Passwords, then uncheck "use Touch ID to autofill passwords".

Touch ID for autofill gives you the option to press the Touch ID button or enter the Mac password. Sorry I didn't clarify this in the OP. Touch ID is new to me.

My usecase is, 90% of the time I use my MacBook connects to an external monitor, KB etc. and the laptop is not within reach to easily press the touch ID button like I think they were expecting people would do rather than enter the Mac password.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2023 8:34 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the advice!

I was on the phone with Apple support about some other things today and brought this item up as well. They had a solution:

settings/touch ID & Passwords, then uncheck "use Touch ID to autofill passwords".

Touch ID for autofill gives you the option to press the Touch ID button or enter the Mac password. Sorry I didn't clarify this in the OP. Touch ID is new to me.

My usecase is, 90% of the time I use my MacBook connects to an external monitor, KB etc. and the laptop is not within reach to easily press the touch ID button like I think they were expecting people would do rather than enter the Mac password.

May 2, 2023 6:12 PM in response to mlemmert11

Maybe EtreCheck will reveal something we can examine. A description and instructions for attaching its report can be found in Old Toad's illustrated User Tip, here: How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report - Apple Community.

The information in its report may or may not help, but I don't know what else to suggest at this point.

Safari keeps asking for my Mac password to autofill website passwords

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.