Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari won't update my password in keychain when I change the password. How do I fix this?

I use the recommended strong passwords, so when it updates I can't just edit the password and input it. Is there a way to fix this so it updates the keychain password for the site?

Alternate question: How do I copy the new recommended password so I can update the new password to the keychain?

The first question is my preference, but if there isn't a way to do that, I can copy & paste it into my keychain, but I don't know how to let me edit it copy it.

Help!?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 11:31 AM

Welcome Ellisynwynters7,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you've had issues updating Keychain on your Mac.

In order to get Keychain Access to update an existing password, you'll want to visit that specific website and follow the steps to update or reset the password. The Mac should recognize the new password and prompt you to update it. Once it is saved, then it's ready for your next login. However, sometimes in order to reset or update a password, the website navigates to another page and Safari doesn't recognize this login information as an existing entry. In those cases, we'd copy the password by using Command + c on your keyboard and then paste them into Keychain Access (under the correct entry) by using Command + p.

Resources:

View the information stored in a keychain on Mac

Add a password to a keychain on Mac

Let us know if this helps out or not, take care.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 11:31 AM in response to ellisynwynters7

Welcome Ellisynwynters7,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Based on your post, you've had issues updating Keychain on your Mac.

In order to get Keychain Access to update an existing password, you'll want to visit that specific website and follow the steps to update or reset the password. The Mac should recognize the new password and prompt you to update it. Once it is saved, then it's ready for your next login. However, sometimes in order to reset or update a password, the website navigates to another page and Safari doesn't recognize this login information as an existing entry. In those cases, we'd copy the password by using Command + c on your keyboard and then paste them into Keychain Access (under the correct entry) by using Command + p.

Resources:

View the information stored in a keychain on Mac

Add a password to a keychain on Mac

Let us know if this helps out or not, take care.

Safari won't update my password in keychain when I change the password. How do I fix this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.