Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Autofill not working on a specific safari site

I was sent a private link for a site and for some reason autofill doesn't pop up even though I added it manually to the keychain. Even when I entered the password for the first time, I wasn't asked to add it to keychain. It wasn't until I attempted to close the page that I got prompted to save it in Keychain. I also noticed that anytime I close the browser, open it back up and attempt to login again, the password field suggests a new password. Very confused. At this point, I have to enter my credentials manually. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2022 8:42 AM

You may be in luck because I believe the website code has to explicitly exclude Autofill from working, so the web team may have inadvertently done that.

If they are amenable to guidance from us lowly users, point them in this direction:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/password_autofill/enabling_password_autofill_on_an_html_input_element

Be sure to point out the fact the Safari Password Autofill feature ≠ autocomplete despite the fact even Apple seems to conflate the two.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 15, 2022 8:42 AM in response to Mr-SilentK

You may be in luck because I believe the website code has to explicitly exclude Autofill from working, so the web team may have inadvertently done that.

If they are amenable to guidance from us lowly users, point them in this direction:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/password_autofill/enabling_password_autofill_on_an_html_input_element

Be sure to point out the fact the Safari Password Autofill feature ≠ autocomplete despite the fact even Apple seems to conflate the two.

Jul 15, 2022 5:09 AM in response to Mr-SilentK

Some websites are annoyingly unhelpful and will and actively block Safari Autofill, "for your security" of course. Practices such as you describe usually result in the end user writing those passwords down on a Post-it Note® affixed to their computer—a great idea that conveniently transfers responsibility for password security away from them.

You can complain to the website administrator, which is almost certain to be a waste of time because they will claim their approach to security is far superior to that of the most valuable and security-conscious company on Earth.

I don't know of any workarounds other than to try a different browser for those specific websites.

Keychain Autofill not working on a specific safari site

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.