KEYCHAIN WEIRDNESS!

What could be going on? I am trying to log into a site, I open Keychain, find the site, click on "Show Password", the window opens asking for my admin. password. I put that in, click OK, and the password window for the website stays EMPTY!!!

I try it over and over, and the same thing happens! And for some reason, in the Keychain window asking for my password, there's an arrow on the right hand side of the window I put my password in. What's that all about? And why isn't this working?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2023 8:38 PM

That icon is the caps lock indicator. Unless your password is in all caps, which it shouldn't be, then it isn't going to work.

Also, you can manually store passwords in Keychain Access and the manually retrieve them. But that really isn't how it is designed to work. When you sign in to a site, if it doesn't already have a password for the site, it will create a strong password. You can override that and enter your own password. You'll get a prompt confirming you want to save the new password for the site. Then, in the future, Safari will automatically fill in bot your login ID and password for the website. You will have to confirm with your local password or fingerprint.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2023 8:38 PM in response to Saxman

That icon is the caps lock indicator. Unless your password is in all caps, which it shouldn't be, then it isn't going to work.

Also, you can manually store passwords in Keychain Access and the manually retrieve them. But that really isn't how it is designed to work. When you sign in to a site, if it doesn't already have a password for the site, it will create a strong password. You can override that and enter your own password. You'll get a prompt confirming you want to save the new password for the site. Then, in the future, Safari will automatically fill in bot your login ID and password for the website. You will have to confirm with your local password or fingerprint.

Jul 20, 2023 10:07 PM in response to etresoft

That's interesting, I wish I had known what that arrow was signifying, it kinda freaked me out, as I was concerned it may have meant I was hacked or something. There are some passwords I manually retrieve, mainly banks/credit cards etc, as I don't want them on browsers' servers, and other times, it may just be that a browser lost its data, so I have to fill log ins in manually, then have it saved. And at this time, I wasn't used Safari, and didn't want to create a new password, so for a minute I was uncertain what to do. However, I just closed, then re-opened my Keychain, and whatever caused that glitch, was no longer doing so, and I could sign in. So I wonder if my caps lock was on, cause I don't recall turning it off, when I closed and re-opened my Keychain... maybe I did.

KEYCHAIN WEIRDNESS!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.