Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari password Autofill timeout duration

I want to use iCloud Keychain to store/Autofill web passwords in Safari. What is the standard timeout period for Safari to ask me to re-enter my master password for it to autofill? I am concerned that if someone were to access my computer a couple hours after I autofill a password in Safari, they would be able to simply go to any website where I have a password saved and login without an issue. I assume there is a timeout duration, but I can't find any reference to it in official documentation. What am I missing?

Posted on Feb 4, 2023 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2023 5:38 AM

Set your Mac to log out when not in use - Apple Support provides one solution; the other one is to manually

put your Mac to sleep: Put your Mac to sleep or wake it - Apple Support.

Unless you were to put the Mac to sleep or log out from your User Account, there is no way for a Mac to know you stepped away from it a moment leaving it potentially wide open to anyone else wanting to use it as though he were you. Logging in with a password or Touch ID authorizes you as a legitimate user.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2023 5:38 AM in response to mschirma

Set your Mac to log out when not in use - Apple Support provides one solution; the other one is to manually

put your Mac to sleep: Put your Mac to sleep or wake it - Apple Support.

Unless you were to put the Mac to sleep or log out from your User Account, there is no way for a Mac to know you stepped away from it a moment leaving it potentially wide open to anyone else wanting to use it as though he were you. Logging in with a password or Touch ID authorizes you as a legitimate user.

Safari password Autofill timeout duration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.